Match Reports‎ > ‎

2nd loss for Tinryland Minors in this year’s Carlow M.F.C. campaign

posted 4 Aug 2015, 10:18 by

By Eamonn Byrne        

Tinryland minor footballers suffered their 2nd reversal in the league stages of this year’s Carlow M.F.C. when they went down to a strong Mount Leinster Rangers team in Borris on Bank Holiday Monday 3rd August on the 4th round. Having already lost to Rathvilly in the opening round the defending champions cannot afford any more slip ups as they attempt to reach the semi-final for the 4th successive year. The home side who were never headed in this game opened the scoring after 60 seconds when impressive full forward Chris Nolan converted a free. Three minutes later Conor McGrath with a great point levelled matters after good work by Niall Lowry and Ciaran Larkin.

Rangers continued to press and despite playing against the strong wind they were back in front by the 6th minute when Chris Nolan converted another free. It got even better for the dual club one minute later when Shane O’Neill rattled the Tinryland net before Dean Dunne put three points separating the sides after good play by Adam Mullen and Killian Maher for Tinryland. Peter Hennessy then scored a long distance point that hopped over the M.L.R. goalkeepers hands and by the 14th minute only one point separated the teams once again when Cathal Gaffney and Peter Hennessy linked up to put Conor McGrath through for his second point. Mid way through the opening half Rangers mid fielder Tony Lawlor sent over another point for the south Carlow team before Cormac Kelly raised a white flag at the Borris end of the ground following good play by Fionnan Burke, Niall Lowry, Killian Maher and Adam Mullen. In the 20th minute the sides were all square for the 2nd time when Ciaran Larkin slotted over a magnificent point after good play by Cormac Kelly and Adam Mullen but this score proved to be Tinryland’s last of the first half as the home side rattled the Tinryland net in the 24th minute via Chris Nolan and tagged on another point in the 26th minute to leave the half time score Mount Leinster Rangers 2-4 Tinryland 0-6.

Tinryland began the second half in determined mood and another Conor McGrath point within 30 seconds of the throw in gave the blue and white supporters hope. Early pressure by Tinryland yielded 4 quick frees but all we could show for our efforts was a solitary point by Niall Lowry to reduce the margin to 2 points. Tinryland did have two gilt edged goal chances at this stage but efforts from Cathal Gaffney and Adam Mullen were both narrowly wide and it was Rangers that took heart at this stage slotting over a point in the 43rd minute from Tony Lawlor. A brilliant free kick from Niall Lowry in the 47th minute made it a two point game once again but Rangers responded with a quick point at the other end. Mount Leinster Rangers then began to turn the screw and they were deprived of a certain goal when Tinryland goalkeeper Ciaran Byrne narrowed the angle to in a one on one situation with a Rangers forward. It got even better for the home side by the 52nd minute when their centre forward Gary Lawlor scored his side’s 3rd goal and Tinryland’s woes were compounded shortly afterwards when midfielder Peter Hennessy received a straight red card from referee John Thompson. In the closing stages Niall Lowry converted a free to reduce the margin to 5 points before referee Thompson sounded the full time whistle. Final score Mount Leinster Rangers 3-6 Tinryland 0-10   

Team: Ciaran Byrne, Cuan Burke, John Murphy, Conor Ryan, Fionnan Burke, Cathal Gaffney, Rory Doyle, Niall Lowry 0-3, Peter Hennessy 0-1, Cormac Kelly 0-1, Ciaran Larkin 0-1, Conor McGrath 0-3, Killian Maher, Adam Mullen, Dean Dunne 0-1. Subs Dylan Byrne, Keelan Gaffney.