Match Reports‎ > ‎

Another heavy defeat for Tinryland senior footballers in S.F.L. Division 1

posted 4 May 2014, 02:47 by

 By Eamonn Byrne 

This was another bad night at the office for Tinryland senior footballers in the 4th round of the Carlow S.F.L. division 1 at Fr. Ryan Park in Rathvilly on Saturday 3rd May as the home side inflicted a second successive heavy defeat on the men in blue and white hoops.

Tinryland were on the back foot right from the throw in when a lapse of concentration in the defence gifted a goal to Rathvilly full forward Garry Dempsey. Before 5 minutes were completed former Tinryland juvenile player Shane Keogh and Brendan Murphy had stretched their teams lead out to 5 points before Paul Doyle opened our account in the 6th minute following good play from Shane Webb.

Rathvilly’s Denis Kelly and Paul Doyle then traded points before the 10th minute with the latter score the product of great play from Cian Moore and Jeff Sutton. Tinryland then enjoyed their best spell as they slowly got to grips with the opposition. After a missed free from Cathal O’Toole for a foul on himself Tinryland got right back into contention when Richie White finished a great Cian Moore, Paul Doyle, Shane O’Neill combo to the Rathvilly net to leave the minimum separating the teams mid way through the half. This however proved to be a false dawn and within 2 minutes Rathvilly had the ball in the Tinryland net when their wing forward deflected a high delivery beyond Trevor O’Reilly after another defensive lapse. Over the next 10 minutes the home side tagged on 4 further points via Brendan Murphy (2), Ed Finnegan and Garry Dempsey and there was more bad news for Tinryland when the hard working Cian Moore was forced to leave the action with an ankle injury to be replaced by Evan Doyle. Paul Doyle who was one of Tinryland’s better players reduced the margin to 7 points with another good point following good play from Richie White while at the other end Trevor O’Reilly brought off a wonderful save from Garry Dempsey before Rathvilly finished the first half on a high with a deflected goal from Garry Owens following another delivery from their half back line that evaded the defence. Half time score Rathvilly 3-7 Tinryland 1-3.

 The second half was only 2 minutes old when referee Kieran Kelly issued a rare black card for Carlow club football on Rathvilly wing forward for a challenge on Jeff Sutton while at the other end Matthew O’Toole slotted over a well taken point after good play from Jeff Sutton, Richie White and Cathal O’Toole. Trevor O’Reilly was then forced to make another great save before the home side struck again. This time it was a goal right out of the top drawer from their hard working veteran mid fielder Ken Doyle who crashed the ball past Trevor. Mark Dempsey then put in a great fisted clearance which ended with sub Evan Doyle slotting over a point from a free for Tinryland before Rathvilly sub Alan Kelly stretched his teams advantage back out to 13 points once again. In fairness Tinryland never stopped trying and we were rewarded with an Evan Doyle goal in the 48th minute following good play from Richie White, Cathal O’Toole and Paul Doyle. As the game entered the final quarter Rathvilly pressure yielded another Garry Dempsey point but this was matched by 2 great Paul Doyle scores to leave the scoreboard reading 4-10 to 2-8 with 5 minutes remaining. Tinryland heads had dropped at this stage and over the concluding minutes Rathvilly added 2 further goals and a point to their account to leave the final score Rathvilly 6-11 Tinryland 2-8.

The seniors will be back in action on Saturday next 10th May with a home game against Mount Leinster Rangers at 7.30 p.m.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Owan O’Gorman, Mark Dempsey, Jack Lowry, Danny Moran, Shane Webb, Matthew O’Toole 0-1, Cian Moore, Glen Doyle, Shane O’Neill, Cormac Walshe, Jeff Sutton, Cathal O’Toole, Richie White 1-0, Paul Doyle 0-5, Subs Evan Doyle 1-2, Garry Morrissey.