Match Reports‎ > ‎

Éire Óg defeat Tinryland by five points in U21 championship semi-final thriller

posted 15 Sep 2016, 06:37 by

By  Eamonn Byrne
Éire Óg gained revenge for a defeat to Tinryland at the same stage in the 2015 U21 championship when gaining a five point victory over the men in blue and white at Netwatch Cullen Park on Wednesday 14th September.
This semi-final played under floodlights in ideal balmy conditions was a high class affair and both teams gave their all before the town side pulled clear mid-way through the second half.
Eire Og made the early running but the Tinryland defence held firm until the 3rd minute when a defensive error led to the ball being lost and YI centre forward Adam Murphy took full advantage to pop a point. The Eire Og advantage doubled in the 6th minute when wing back Evan Kelly ran through the centre to slot over another point and that feat was repeated 3 minutes later when Reece Denieffe made it 3 points to nil.
Eire Og were winning all the breaks around the central diamond at this stage and a great point from Jody Murphy made it 4 points to nil by the 11th minute. Tinryland gradually came to grips with the pace of the game and after a great burst by Rory Doyle he transferred to Mark Lawlor who slotted over Tinryland’s opening point in the 14th minute. Lawlor who was one of Tinryland’s best forwards throughout then repeated the act 60 seconds later when he raised another white flag after great play by Adam Dunne and Ciaran Townsend. Eire Og full forward Reece Denieffe slotted over 2 quick points in the 16th and 17th minutes to extend his team’s advantage back out to 4 points before a super Diarmaid Walshe point settled Tinryland once again in the 23rd minute.
Walshe then capped a fine first half when he rattled the Eire Og net in the 24th minute to put matters all square. With Ciaran Larkin now introduced into the fray Tinryland looked to be getting on top at this stage but a number of narrow wides kept the score all square when referee John Hickey sounded the half time whistle.
Half time score Tinryland 1-3 Eire Og 0-6.
When play resumed Eire Og began the 2nd half in similar fashion to the 1st scoring a point after 2 minutes via Adam Murphy after another defensive error. Tinryland’s Adam Murphy was then introduced into the action at mid-field as Eire Og pulled 2 points clear after Eire Og’s Adam Murphy pointed from a dead ball. Tinryland were still competitive at this stage and Ciaran Larkin left the minimum between the sides with Tinryland’s 4th point with 20 minutes remaining.
Tinryland goalie Ciaran Byrne was then forced to pull off a fine save to deny Eire Og their first goal before Mark Lawlor and Ross Dunphy traded points coming up to the three quarter stage. Another spilled ball resulted in Eire Og scoring another point from Cian Dowling before Ciaran Townsend put the minimum between the sides once again with a good point in the 46th minute.
The game changers then arrived in quick succession when Eire og’s Ross Dunphy and their mid-fielder Dean Hayden both raised green flags in the space of 90 seconds to put the Teach Asca men 7 points clear with 10 minutes remaining. Michael Dobosz was then introduced for the tired looking Shane Webb who had played a starring role in the senior championship game only 3 days earlier. Eire Og pulled further clear with another Dunphy point with 8 minutes remaining before Mark Lawlor scored a wonderful point for Tinryland after great play by Diarmaid Walshe.
Dermot McGuill was introduced for Tinryland for Conor McGrath at this stage before Eire Og’s Adam Murphy scored their final point with 7 minutes remaining. Tinryland then threw the kitchen sink at Eire Og in a bid to retrieve the situation and were rewarded with wonderful points by Ciaran Townsend, John Murphy and Mark Lawlor.
Unfortunately time ran out at this stage and referee Hickey sounded the long whistle soon afterwards to leave the final score Eire Og 2-12 Tinryland 1-10.
Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Fionnan Burke, John Murphy 0-1, Conor Ryan, Adam Dunne, Cathal Gaffney, Conor McGrath, Niall Lowry, Peter Hennessy, Shane Webb, Mark Lawlor 0-5, John Fleming, Diarmaid Walshe 1-1, Rory Doyle, Ciaran Townsend 0-2. Subs: Ciaran Larkin 0-1, Adam Murphy, Michael Dobosz, Dermot McGuill.