Match Reports‎ > ‎

Eire Og rally snatches McKelvie cup from Tinryland’s grasp as M F final ends in draw.

posted 13 Oct 2013, 11:18 by
By Eamonn Byrne
Tinryland and Eire og minors must do it all over again after todays Carlow minor football final ended all square following a late rally by the Y.I’s just as Tinryland looked like breaking the clubs minor hoodoo.

Tinryland got off to a perfect start straight from the throw in when Niall Lowry won a free which was converted by Diarmaid Walshe. We could have been 3 points up inside the opening 5 minutes but for 2 wides by corner forward Ciaran Townsend who narrowly missed on both occasions. Eire og then levelled matters in the 4th minute when Cathal Kelly slotted over a point but we were back in front 60 seconds later following a sublime point by captain and centre forward Diarmaid Walshe. Eire og were back on level terms by the 7th minute after Owen O Gorman had conceded a free which was converted by Colm Hulton. A great catch by Adam Murphy in the 8th minute saw the ball being transferred to Andrew Hanley who dispatched it to Diarmaid Walshe who raised another white flag. Our lead was short lived however as Mark Furey scored a great point for Eire og to leave matters all square for the 3rd time within the opening 10 minutes. The town team who were seeking their 31st minor title then edged ahead for the first time  when corner forward Shane Noonan pointed in the 11th minute. It could have been even better for Eire Og during this period of play as Tinryland goalkeeper Ciaran Byrne and his defence came to the rescue in denying them an opening goal. 3 minutes later Ciaran was called into action once again when he denied Shane Noonan of another goal chance.

By the 18th minute the sides were locked together for the 4th time after Dermot McGuill was fouled following a pass from John Fleming which was again converted by Diarmaid Walshe. This score proved to be our last of the first half however and in fact we were lucky not to concede a goal following a dispossession on corner back Luc Corcoran which ended up as a wide for Eire Og. As the second half drew to a conclusion Tinryland were guilty of more wides and by the end of the half we had chalked up 8 misses to Eire Og’s 4.  

When play resumed the wide tally increased and by the 40th minute Tinryland had added 3 more to the list following wayward shooting from Diarmaid Walshe, Ciaran Townsend and Niall Lowry. 22 minutes had now elapsed since either team had scored and the duck was finally broken when Dermot McGuill won a free which was once again converted by Diarmaid Walshe. We then won another free when McGuill was once again fouled but this time Diarmaid was wide with his attempt. Midfielder Owen O’ Gorman then doubled the Tinryland advantage following great work from Ciaran Townsend, Shane Webb and Diarmaid Walshe and after Eire Og had missed a free at the other end it looked that Tinryland were at last beginning to dominate. Another dispossession in the Tinryland defence  resulted in Eire og reducing the lead to the minimum once again. By the 47th minute Tinryland were back in front by 2 points following good work by Owen O’Gorman and Niall Lowry which saw Diarmaid score another point. Eire Og would not lie down however and the minimum separated the sides once again in the 49th minute when their sharpshooter Enda Hulton converted another free. With 9 minutes remaining the teams were level for the 5th time when Hulton repeated the dose from another free but within 60 seconds the game changer looked to have at last arrived in Tinryland’s favour.

A super run from the lightning fast Marcus Lawler resulted in Ciaran Townsend scoring a Tinryland goal after sub Brian Mullen had been denied by the Eire Og goalie and then the cross bar. Back at the other end Eire Og were denied a certain goal by a world class save from Tinryland ‘keeper Ciaran Byrne and when Diarmaid Walshe slotted over a free brought closer to goal for dissent Tinryland supporters dared to dream that the McKelvie cup was at last on the way to the Tinryland sideboard. Eire Og  are never beaten however until the cup is past Walls Forge roundabout and in true YI fashion they threw the kitchen sink at Tinryland and were rewarded with a penalty which was dispatched to the net by centre back Mark Furey to leave the minimum separating the sides with 3 minutes left.

The town team then went lucking for the equaliser and were successful in winning a free which was converted by Enda Hulton to send the final to a replay on  a date still to be decided.

This was a game which could certainly have been won but the handicap of 15 wides meant that Eire Og  were still left in contention entering the final straight and as anyone knows they are past masters at pulling a result out of the fire.

Tinryland had outstanding players on the day in goalkeeper Ciaran Byrne, defenders Conor O’Toole, Adam Murphy, Shane Webb and Fiach Byrne together with forwards Diarmaid Walshe, Niall Lowry and Dermot McGuill

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Luc Corcoran, Mark Lawlor, Conor O’Toole, Adam Murphy,

Shane Webb, Fiach Byrne, Owen O’Gorman 0-1, Marcus Lawler, John Fleming, Diarmaid Walshe 0-7 (4 frees), Andrew Hanley, Niall Lowry, Dermot McGuill, Ciaran Townsend 1-0. subs Brian Mullen, Kuba Dobosz