Match Reports‎ > ‎

First defeat for Tinryland in S.F.C. means its all to play for in final group game

posted 20 Aug 2012, 10:21 by

First defeat for Tinryland in  S.F.C. means its all to play for in final group game

by Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers must win their final group game in this years Carlow S.F.C. against Mount Leinster Rangers on w/e 16th September after losing the 4th round game by 2 points to Kildavin-Clonegal at Dr Cullen park on Sunday evening 19th August .After a less than satisfactory display in the previous round against Naomh Eoin Tinryland once again lacked sparkle for a long period in this game and were extremely lucky to be only trailing by 3 points at the interval. With Shane O’Neill suffering a shoulder injury as early as the 2nd minute Tinryland were forced to introduce substitute Cian Moore into the fray and found themselves 2 points down by the 8th minute. During this period of play Tinryland kicked 4 wides and that tally had risen to 5 before Paul Broderick opened the scoring with a pointed free after eleven minutes. Evan Doyle then had a great chance of a goal but he kicked wide before Alan Barrett put us back on level terms with a point in the 14th minute following good work by Padraig Townsend and Jeff Sutton. By the 19th minute Tinryland had edged into a one point lead after another Paul Broderick converted free following interplay between himself, Cian Moore and Padraig Townsend. Kildavin-Clonegal then had a chance to equalise but Daniel St Ledgers free hit the post. The Wexford border side were back in the lead by the 22nd minute following a well worked goal and when they scored a point in the 24th minute we were behind by 3. It was all action now and a brilliant free by Paul Broderick after a foul on Danny Moran reduced the margin to two points. We then had a major let off when Kildavin were awarded a penalty in the 26th minute only for it to be badly struck but they had the last say with a point in the 29th minute to leave the half time score Kildavin-Clonegal 1-4 Tinryland 0-4

On the resumption Evan Doyle kicked a free wide before St Ledger extended the Kildavin advantage to 4 points with a converted free. Evan Doyle was then successful with a free after 36 minutes before the game began to turn our way in amazing circumstances. Kildavin-Clonegal forward Daryl Roberts had a goal at his mercy only for Trevor O’Reilly to come to the rescue with a point blank save. Conor Byrne picked up the ball and transferring to Padraig Townsend he found Jeff Sutton who ran a full 50 metres before unleashing a shot to the back of the Kildavin-Clonegal net. We were now only one point in arrears but 3 minutes later Kildavin-Clonegal got their 2nd goal following a dispossession in our defence and when they scored another point with 16 minutes remaining Tinryland were 5 points in arrears. Garry Morrissey then replaced the injured Conor Byrne and between the 47th and 51st minutes Tinryland began to show a bit of character scoring 5 points without reply from Paul Broderick (3), Glen Doyle and Alan Barrett to leave matters all square with 9 minutes remaining. A great St Ledger point in the 55th minute edged KC ahead once again only for Padraig Townsend to equalise in stoppage time with a fisted point. The comeback effort proved too much however and it was KC who had the last say deep in stoppage time with winning points grom Daithi Byrne and Daryl Roberts to leave the final score Kildavin-Clonegal 2-10 Tinryland 1 11.  The group B of death is really turning out that way now and with Palatine defeating Rathvilly its all to play for on week ending 16th September when Mount Leinster Rangers will be our opposition at a venue to be decided. If we win that one we are automatically through to the quarter finals but lose and we are out. The senior team will be back training on this Wednesday evening at 7.30 p.m.and its now up to all concerned to put in the required effort.

Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Jeff Sutton 1-0, Mark Dempsey, Niall Barrett, Danny Moran, Shane Redmond, Conor Byrne, Keith Jackson, Glen Doyle 0-1, Diarmaid Walshe , Padraig Townsend 0-1, Shane O’Neill, Paul Broderick capt 0-6, Evan Doyle 0-1 Alan Barrett 0-2.