Match Reports‎ > ‎

Injury time Ballinabranna goal denies Tinryland a dream start in Division 5 campaign

posted 30 Mar 2016, 08:41 by

By Eamonn Byrne

A goal two minutes into stoppage time denied Tinryland Junior C team a dream start to the division 5 campaign against Ballinabranna’s 2nd squad at Rathcrogue on Tuesday 29th March.

The men in blue and white in their new Xenon sponsored shirts certainly deserved something from this game having competed well throughout. After 2 spurned chances from Ballinabranna it was Tinryland who took the lead in the 7th minute with a great goal from Cormac Kelly after good play by Ciaran Townsend and Barry Power. Ballinabranna then scored 3 unanswered points in a 5 minute spell from Eric Robinson, Enda Dunne and Paddy Meaney. Tinryland regained the lead in the 15th minute with an Eoin Fields point after good play by Cathal Whelan. It could have got even better at this stage but Barry Power saw his fine attempt on goal saved by Ballinabranna goalkeeper Cian McDonald. Ballinabranna then finished the first half with a flourish scoring 3 unanswered points from wing forward Brian Kinsella to leave the half time scoreboard reading Ballinabranna 0-6 Tinryland 1-1.

When the 2nd half began Dean Farrell and Alan Byrne had been introduced into the fray and within one minute good play by Farrell and John Jackson resulted in a point from Brian “Beano” Mullen leaving the minimum separating the teams. By the 33rd minute matters were all square when Cormac Kelly converted a free before Brian Kinsella raised a white flag at the other end to give Ballinabranna the lead once again. Tinryland were then dealt a blow when the lively Ciaran Townsend picked up an injury and he was replaced by Sean Regan. Paddy Dunne for Ballinabranna and Brian Mullen for Tinryland then traded points before Tinryland regained the lead with a well worked Barry Power goal after great play by Michael Dobosz, and John Whyte. It got even better for Tinryland in the 53rd minute when Sean Regan found the net to give the home side a 5 point advantage with 7 minutes remaining. Ballinabranna quickly set about rectifying the situation and a Shane “Shaggy” Maher tap in with 5 minutes remaining left only 2 points separating the sides. Maher and Willie Kavanagh then combined to reduce the margin to the minimum. In a frantic finish Michael Dobosz for Tinryland and Ballinabranna mid fielder Eric Robinson traded points before Dobosz stretched Tinryland’s lead back out to 2 points as play entered stoppage time. After almost 2 minutes of stoppage time Shane Maher struck the mortal blow to the home side when he found the net seconds before referee Seamie Doyle sounded the long whistle.  Final score Ballinabranna 2-10 Tinryland 3-6. Best for Tinryland who will be at home to Leighlinbridge on Tuesday next 5th April at 7 p.m. were goalkeeper Mick Delaney, together with defenders Joey Ryan, Paddy Brown, Paddy Byrne Cormac Kelly, Garry Scully and John Whyte. At midfield Alan Kirwan and Ciaran Townsend until injured held their own while up front Brian Mullen, Michael Dobosz, Barry Power, Cathal Whelan John Jackson and Eoin Fields worked their socks off as did the 3 substitutes Dean Farrell, Alan Byrne and Sean Regan.

Tinryland: Michael Delaney, Paddy Brown, Joey Ryan, Paddy Byrne, Gary Scully, John Whyte captain, Cormac Kelly 1-1, Alan Kirwan, Ciaran Townsend, Brian Mullen 0-2, Michael Dobosz 0-2, Eoin Fields 0-1, Barry Power 1-0, John Jackson, Cathal Whelan. Subs: Dean Farrell, Alan Byrne, Sean Regan 1-0.