Match Reports‎ > ‎

Last Minute point from Paul Broderick keeps Tinryland in Carlow S.F.C.

posted 25 Sep 2012, 10:02 by
By Eamonn Byrne

A late point from a 45 deep in stoppage time from Paul Broderick kept Tinryland’s hopes alive in this years Carlow S.F.C against O’Hanrahans in the quarter final at Dr Cullen park on Saturday 22nd September. Like the game against Mount Leinster Rangers the previous Sunday Tinryland made a very slow start to this game and were 5 points down by the 8th minute as the Blues started at a frantic pace picking off a succession of impressive scores. Tinryland opened their account in the 9th minute when Cormac Walshe

pointed following good work by Evan Doyle before the town team stretched 5 clear once again by the 12th minute. One minute later it could have been curtains for Tinryland as the Blues missed an open goal with only Trevor O’Reilly to beat. Tinryland then doubled their account in the 14th minute courtesy of a Keith Jackson point but the deadly accurate Colm Quigley replied for O’Hanrahans to leave the score reading 7 points to 2 in their favour by the 15th minute. Tinryland at last began to wake from their slumbers and a Robbie Power point in the 18th minute was followed 5 minutes later by an excellent Glen Doyle score following a great passing movement involving himself,  Jeff Sutton, Conor Byrne and Paul Broderick. Two minutes before the break Cormac Walshe  reduced the margin to 2 points following a pass from Padraig Townsend and when Walshe pointed in the 30th minute following a passing movement involving Conor Byrne and Paul Broderick Tinryland were amazingly only one point down having played into a strong breeze in that opening half. O’Hanrahans had also been kept scoreless over the last 15 minutes and it looked promising for the Tinryland lads as they adjourned to the dressing room for the half time team talk.

When play resumed Tinryland’s slow starting habit returned and it was O’Hanrahans who got the opening score in the 34th minute when Quigley converted another free. When a Tinryland attack broke down in the 42nd minute the Blues were 3 points clear. Once again it took Tinryland an age to get on the scoreboard and it was Keith Jackson who opened our second half account in the 46th minute following good work by his mid field partner Conor Byrne. One minute later Paul Broderick converted a free to leave only one point separating the sides and at last the equaliser came in the 49th minute when Padraig Townsend raised a white flag following good work by Keith Jackson. The Blues were not finished however and their ability to break down  and dispossess Tinryland players yielded rewards in the 53rd and 54th minutes when they scored points to leave the score at 11 points to 9 points with 5 minutes remaining. Tinryland had introduced Michael Mullen for the injured Mark Dempsey by this stage and one of his attacks yielded fruit in the 56th minute when Paul Broderick reduced the margin to the minimum with an excellent score. A number of Tinryland efforts for the equaliser were wide before Broderick nailed an excellent 45 in the 64th minute. Referee John Hickey then played almost another minute of stoppage time as the Blues went in search of the winner but the Tinryland defence  well marshalled by JP Moore, Jeff Sutton, Niall Barrett, Shane Redmond and Garry Morrissey held firm and we live to fight another day next Saturday in Dr Cullen Park at 3.30 p.m.

Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Jeff Sutton, John Paul Moore, Niall Barrett, Garry Morrissey, Shane Redmond, Mark Dempsey, Keith Jackson 0-2, Conor Byrne, Glen Doyle 0-1, Padraig Townsend 0-1, Robbie Power 0-1, Paul Broderick 0-3, Evan Doyle, Cormac

Walsh 0-3. Sub Michael Mullen for Mark Dempsey injured