Match Reports‎ > ‎

Lots of Positives despite one point loss away to Rathvilly in S.F.L Div.1

posted 27 May 2013, 01:18 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers lost out by the minimum margin to Rathvilly in a 29 score thriller at Fr Ryan park on Sunday evening 26th May. Despite this reversal Tinryland are still very much in contention for a place in the league semi finals and lots of positives can be taken from this game. This was one of the best games so far this season in the S.F. L Div. 1 with the lead changing hands on no fewer than 6 occasions.

Rathvilly were first on the scoreboard with points from Garry Owens and Garry Dempsey in the 3rd and 4th minutes. Cormac Walshe making a welcome return from injury opened Tinryland’s account in the 5th minute after a good build up involving Michael Mullen and Paul Doyle. It was all square by the 7th minute when Cormac slotted over another point after a great pass from Ian Scully. Rathvilly then replied with a brace of points from Garry Dempsey and Brian Murphy and the home side could have been further ahead when Brendan Murphy was narrowly wide with a goal at his mercy.

Tinryland then settled down to play some very attractive football and following great work by Cathal O’Toole and Danny Moran Co. player Shane Redmond scored a class point from midfield. The hard working Paul Doyle was then fouled and Ian Scully made no mistake with the resulting free. By the 17th minute Paul Doyle put Tinryland back in front when he pointed after a great passing movement involving Conor Byrne, Ian Scully and Garry Morrissey. Rathvilly then enjoyed a spell of dominance and in the 20th minute the Tinryland defence conceded a penalty which was despatched to the net by former Co. star J J Smith. Tinryland then produced another spell of attractive football with Cathal O’Toole raising a white flag after good interplay between himself, Cian Moore, Garry Morrissey, Glen Doyle and Michael Mullen. In the 24th minute Matthew O’Toole levelled matters once again when he pointed after a movement involving Glen Doyle, Garry Morrissey and Eddie Dowling. Matthew then edged us in front once again when he scored a class point in the 25th minute after another great passing movement involving his brother Cathal and Glen Doyle who won primary possession and impressed throughout with his high fielding. The final act of the first half was a brilliant Ian Scully point following another great catch by Glen who found Cormac Walshe with a pin point pass which ended with the accurate full forward scoring his second point of the half.Half Time score Tinryland 0-9 Rathvilly 1-4

When play resumed Diarmaid Walshe had replaced the injured Paul Doyle and it was Rathvilly with wind advantage who were first to score when Carlow captain Brian Murphy slotted over to leave the minimum between the sides. Tinryland then produced another champagne moment and when Cathal O’Toole gained possession he transferred to brother Matthew who transferred to Ian Scully who rattled the Rathvilly net to leave Tinryland ahead by 4 points with 25 minutes remaining.This score stung the home side into action and following points from Brian Murphy and Garry Dempsey the game changed with 2 significant goal chances. First it was Tinryland who could have scored but Shane Redmonds attempt was brilliantly saved by Rathvilly goalkeeper Robert Molloy. Two minutes later the home side were back in front when J J Smith scored his second goal after opening up the defence but it was Tinryland who replied once again when Cathal O’Toole pointed following a pass from Glen Doyle. Another goal chance for Rathvilly was fluffed before Alan Kelly and Garry Dempsey extended their lead to 2 points once again with 14 minutes remaining. Shane O’Neill was then introduced into the action and when Cormac Walshe was fouled in the 48th minute Ian Scully left the minimum between the teams once again. Another free for Tinryland resulted in Cathal O’Toole tying up matters once again and when Michael Mullen pointed with 10 minutes remaining Tinryland were ahead again. Garry Owens for Rathvilly and Glen Doyle traded points by the 25th minute before a Brian Murphy free levelled this absorbing game once again. Both teams then went for the jugular in search of the winner and with 60 seconds left Brian Murphy scored the crucial point for Rathvilly. Tinryland got one last chance to equalise but Ian Scully was inches wide with a 30 metre free and the home side held out for a one point win on afinal score of 2-12 to 1-14

With 3 matches left in the League against Kilbride, O’Hanrahans and St Andrews Tinryland are in a strong position to reach the knock out stages of the league for the 3rd successive year and as stated before a lot of positives can be taken from this encounter in Rathvilly.

Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Eddie Dowling, ConorByrne, Niall Barrett, Danny Moran, Cian Moore, Garry Morrissey, Glen Doyle 0-1, Shane Redmond 0-1, Matthew O’Toole 0-2, Paul Doyle 0-1, Michael Mullen 0-1, Cathal O’Toole 0-3, Ian Scully 1-3, Cormac Walshe

0-2. Subs Diarmaid Walshe, Cian Lawlor, Shane O’Neill.