Match Reports‎ > ‎

Much improved performance enables Tinryland Seniors qualify for quarter final

posted 16 Sep 2013, 09:04 by

By Eamonn Byrne


Tinryland senior footballers got back to winning ways against Mount Leinster Rangers at Spellman Park Kildavin on Sunday 15th September with a great performance which qualified the team for the quarter finals of the Carlow S.F.C. This was a must win game for Tinryland after some indifferent performances in the championship to date. A loss on Sunday could have put us down to Intermediate for 2014. Instead we can now look forward to a quarter final in Dr. Cullen Park on Saturday next 21st September (4 p.m.) against high flying Kildavin-Clonegal.

As stated above this was a much improved performance from the lads especially after conceding 1-2 in the opening 6 minutes. From then on the team settled down to play some of their best football this year only conceding a further 3 points for the remaining 54 minutes. The only downside to the game was Ian Scully’s red card near the end which will result in him missing the Kildavin-Clonegal game unless the club can win an appeal this week. Ian was one of the stars of Tinryland’s win on Sunday with his fisted deflection to the net in the 17th minute bringing Tinryland level at 1-2 each after the Rangers had got a dream start scoring 1-2 in the opening 6 minute period. Tinryland’s opening points came from the boot of the Walshe brothers Diarmaid and Cormac in the 3rd and 12th minutes following good work on both occasions by Ian Scully together with Danny Moran. Ian’s 17th minute goal was the cue to up the ante and within a minute Tinryland were in the lead for the first time when Matthew O’Toole found the net. Points were then traded between Paul Cody for Rangers and Michael Mullen for Tinryland to leave the half time score reading Tinryland 2-3 Mount Leinster Rangers 1-3.

When play resumed Diarmaid and Cormac Walshe  combined to slot over another point from Cormac but Rangers replied almost immediately to leave the scoreboard reading 2-4 to 1-4 in our favour with 20 minutes remaining. With word coming through from Carlow and Bagenalstown that results were going in our favour Tinryland then kicked on to play very attractive football. Michael Mullen recently returned from the U.S.A. then made a massive contribution in a three minute spell scoring 3  points out of the top drawer. His first of the trio was the result of good work from the recently introduced John Dwyer while his 16th minute point was the product of more good play by Ian Scully. By the 47th minute Tinryland led by 2-8 to 1-4 following a successful free by Cormac Walshe for a foul on the hard working Jeff Sutton. Mount Leinster Rangers then threw the kitchen sink at Tinryland in an effort to claw back the deficet but the defensive sextet of Mark Dempsey, John Paul Moore, Conor Byrne, Danny Moran, Matthew O’Toole, and Shane Redmond together with goalkeeper Trevor O’Reilly were equal to the task and playing like men inspired they limited the south Carlow outfit to a single point in the 54th minute. By that time the Rangers challenge was beginning to peter out but exchanges did become heated at times with some very questionable decisions. Tinryland ended the game in a blaze of glory scoring another great point from Diarmaid Walsh following more good work from Michael Mullen and the icing was put on the cake when sub Robbie Power crashed the ball to the Rangers net following great approach play by Matthew O’Toole who had one of his best games to date for the seniors and who seems really comfortable in his new found attacking half back role. His brother Cathal also played an important part as did Glen Doyle at centre forward and  midfield ably assisted by Cian Moore and then John Dwyer who contributed well also for the last 20 minutes. Final score Tinryland 3-9 Mount Leinster Rangers 1-5

Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Conor Byrne, Mark Dempsey, John Paul Moore, Danny Moran, Shane Redmond (captain), Matthew O’Toole 1-0, Cormac Walshe 0-3, Cian Moore, Jeff Sutton, Glen Doyle, Michael Mullen 0-4, Diarmaid Walshe 0-2, Ian Scully 1-0, Cathal O’Toole. Subs John Dwyer, Garry Morrissey, Shane O’Neill, Robbie Power 1-0.