Match Reports‎ > ‎

Old Leighlin punish wasteful Tinryland in Michael Lyng Motors S.F.C.

posted 28 Aug 2017, 01:35 by

By Eamonn Byrne

The scoreboard never lies but the final score in the final group 1 game in the Carlow S.F.C. against Old Leighlin on Sunday last does not tell the full story except that Old Leighlin now progress as group runners up while Tinryland are still involved at the quarter final stage on Saturday 16th September.

This game played in ideal conditions with a lunch time throw in saw Tinryland enjoy more possession than the former champions but a litany of wides especially in the first half meant that the far more efficient men from Molaise Park were never headed throughout the hour. In fact it took Tinryland 21 minutes to register their first score and it was a defender John Paul Moore who opened the account in the 21st minute. By that time Old Leighlin with less of the ball had raced into a 5 point lead which gave Tinryland a mountain to climb with 40 minutes of the game still to play. Tinryland continued to rack up the wides and by half time the tally on the stats sheet totalled 16 as Old Leighlin retired at the interval with a 3 point advantage. Tinryland’s other first half points were scored by wing back Cathal Gaffney in the 26th minute after good play by sub Cian Moore and by full forward James McGrath in the 27th minute after good work by J.P. Moore and Matthew O’Toole. The final score of the half was a point from Old Leighlin wing forward Sean Kinsella in the 28th minute which left the half time scoreboard reading Old Leighlin 0-6 Tinryland 0-3.

The 2nd half was only 2 minutes old when Tinryland narrowed the gap to 2 points after Niall Lowry had slotted over a point following good play by Conor Byrne and Cormac Walshe who had been introduced in the first half as a substitute. Tinryland were then awarded a free which Lowry had won but the ever reliable Paul Broderick was wide on a day that his shooting boots did not perform.

In the 35th minute James McGrath narrowed the Old Leighlin advantage to the minimum as Tinryland continued to enjoy the bulk of possession but the wide tally continued to rise and had reached 18 when Old Leighlins Aaron Amond extended their advantage back out to 2 points with 20 minutes remaining. Shane Webb was then introduced into the fray for Cormac Walshe who picked up a hamstring injury but Tinryland supporters were still confident enough when centre back John Murphy slotted over one of the points of the game in the 42nd minute.  It all changed however within 60 seconds when Old Leighlin mid fielder Hughie Gahan raced through the Tinryland defence to score the game’s only goal which gave the eventual winners a 4 point advantage mid- way through the 2nd half. A Cathal Coughlan point from a free left 5 points between the teams as Tinryland introduced Keith Jackson in the 51st minute for Paul Broderick. James McGrath replied with a Tinryland point and when sub Shane Webb scored another with 6 minutes remaining Tinryland despite their wastefulness were only 3 points in arrears once again. Old Leighlin battened down the hatches however and their experience of big games over a long period stood to them as they added on 2 more Hughie Gahan points before referee Paud O’Dwyer sounded the full time whistle.Final score Old Leighlin 1-10 Tinryland 0-8.

Tinryland will now play Eire Og in the quarter final on Saturday 16th September when it is hoped that the Tinryland stats man will not have to record 2 dozen wides.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Danny Moran, Conor Byrne, John Paul Moore 0-1, Cathal Gaffney 0-1, John Murphy 0-1, Cian Lawlor, Shane Redmond, Niall Lowry 0-1, Conor O’Toole, Padraig Townsend, Peter Hennessy, Paul Broderick, James McGrath 0-3, Matthew O’Toole. Subs: Cormac Walshe, Cian Moore, Shane Webb 0-1, Keith Jackson, Adam Dunne,