Match Reports‎ > ‎

Outstanding performance by Tinryland juniors to reach Co. final defeating hot favourites Askea

posted 27 Sep 2015, 02:52 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland junior footballers put up an outstanding performance in the Carlow J.F.C. B semi-final at the Netwatch Training centre on Saturday 26th September when they comfortably accounted for hot favourites Askea who had defeated the men in blue and white by a combined total of 30 points in 2 previous league and championship encounters this season. Showing 6 changes from the team that lost by 10 points to the same opposition on September 2nd Tinryland took this game by the scruff of the neck from the throw in but found themselves 2 points in arrears at half time despite playing with a strong breeze in that opening half. In the first 7 minutes alone Tinryland kicked 5 wides and it was the 7th minute before Padraic Whelan opened our account with a well struck free. Askea quickly replied with a similar score from Johnny Kavanagh before the Carlow town side took the lead via midfielder Paul Murphy in the 12th minute after Tinryland had given the ball away when in possession.  Askea pulled further clear in the 13th minute when midfielder Jimmy White laid off a good ball for Johnny Kavanagh to raise another white flag. Rory Doyle who was excellent throughout then narrowed the gap with a well taken point in the 18th minute but Tinryland continued to clock up the wide tally which totalled 7 by the 20th minute. The first significant score of the game then arrived and it was a goal out of the top drawer by minor player Conall Dunne who rattled the Askea net to edge Tinryland 2 points clear. A Tinryland point from Padraic Whelan then followed after good play by Peter Doran but 3 quick points from David O’Regan, Johnny Kavanagh and Conor Byrne in a 2 minute spell saw the teams all square with 3 minutes remaining in the first half. It got even better for the Askea men 2 minutes later when former Tinryland player Conor O’Brien scored a cracking goal as Tinryland introduced Killian Maher into the action as a replacement for Gregg Murphy. The final act of the first half was a Padraig Townsend point to leave the half time score Askea 1-6 Tinryland 1-4.

When referee Billy Fanning restarted proceedings Tinryland looked to have a mountain to climb playing against the strong breeze but the 2nd half was only 30 seconds old when Conall Dunne rattled the Askea net once again with a brilliant strike following excellent play by Killian Maher and Peter Hennessy. A Garry Fields point quickly followed as Askea half back David O’Regan received a black card. Things got progressively worse for the championship favourites as Tinryland began to turn the screw scoring 5 unanswered points in a 10 minute spell via Padraic Whelan, Killian Maher, Garry Fields, Conall Dunne and David Townsend. These scores were the product of trojan work by the entire Tinryland defence of Adam Dunne, John Murphy, Sean Kirwan, Rory Doyle, Padraig Townsend and Peter Doran who gave a man of the match performance at centre back. With Peter Hennessy and Killian Maher now dominating in the mid field area Tinryland pulled 10 points ahead by the 20th minute with a brilliant goal from  Padraic Whelan after great play by Killian Maher, Peter Hennessy and Garry Fields and it was the 53rd minute before Askea opened their 2nd half account with a successful free by Johnny Kavanagh. Sixty seconds later Askea finally breached the rock solid Tinryland defence with a Johnny Kavanagh goal but it was all too little too late for the sky blues as the Tinryland defence came to the rescue on numerous occasions in the closing stages before David Townsend capped a fine performance with Tinryland’s final point. Final score Tinryland 3-11 Askea 2-7. 

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Adam Dunne, John Murphy, Sean Kirwan, Rory Doyle 0-1, Peter Doran, Padraig Townsend 0-1, Gregg Murphy, Peter Hennessy, Conall Dunne 2-1, Padraig Delaney, Padraic Whelan 1-3, Garry Fields 0-2, Owan O’Gorman, David Townsend 0-2. Subs Killian Maher 0-1, Brian Farrell.