Match Reports‎ > ‎

Poor performance from Senior team against Naomh Eoin in Carlow S.F.C.

posted 28 Aug 2013, 01:23 by
By Eamonn Byrne
Tinryland senior footballers gave one of their most disappointing performances in recent years when they were comprehensively beaten by Naomh Eoin in the 3rd round of the Carlow S.F.C. in Dr. Cullen park on Sunday 25th August. For whatever reason the team never got out of the blocks and at one stage were 10 points in arrears of the Myshall men 5 minutes before half time. That first half is best forgotton as anything that could go wrong went wrong while Naomh Eoin racked up the scores on a regular basis scoring their only first half goal in the 17th minute to put them 8 points ahead. By this stage Tinryland had missed 2 gilt edged goal chances while at the other end a wonderful Trevor O’Reilly save kept the scoreboard from looking even more gloomy from a Tinryland point of view. Tinryland’s first half scores came in the 8th minute when Shane Redmond pointed after good work from Diarmaid Walshe and Paul Broderick while we had to wait another 17 minutes for our next score when Glen Doyle converted a free following a foul on Paul Broderick. Tinryland’s only other score of the half was a Cormac Walshe point following one of the best Tinryland movements of the game. This left the half time scoreboard reading    Naomh Eoin 1-8 Tinryland 0-3.

When play resumed Tinryland continued to miss  chances with Paul Broderick, Diarmaid Walshe and Ian Scully all wide with scorable chances. We were then dealt a further blow in the 38th minute when Danny Moran received two yellow cards in the space of 60 seconds while Naomh Eoin increased their lead with points from Cillian McCabe and a Jack Kavanagh free. Shane O’Neill was then introduced for Shane Webb but it was the 44th minute before Tinryland scored via Glen Doyle to herald the best period of the match for the men in blue and white. A Diarmaid Walshe point in the 46th minute reduced the margin to 8 points once again and when recently introduced sub John Dwyer deflected home a goal in the 49th minute Tinryland supporters briefly began to hope that all was not lost. Shane O’Neill then scored one of the points of the match with 8 minutes left to reduce the margin to 4 points but unfortunately this proved to be our last score and Myshall wrapped up the game with a goal and a point in the closing stages to leave the final score Naomh Eoin 2-11 Tinryland 1-6.

This result now leaves Tinryland in the difficult position of having to win our remaining games against Eire og on Sunday next and against Mount Leinster Rangers on 15th September to advance to the knockout stages of the S.F.C. Furthermore if we lose again we are staring down the gunbarrell of Tier 2 football for next season as the new format of 8 teams in Tier 1 for 2014 kicks in.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Conor Byrne, Mark Dempsey, John Paul Moore, Danny Moran, Cian Moore, Shane Webb, Garry Morrissey, Shane Redmond 0-1, Matthew O’Toole, Paul Broderick, Diarmaid Walshe 0-1, Cormac Walshe 0-1, Ian Scully, Glen Doyle 0-2. Subs Shane O’Neill 0-1, Paul Doyle, John Dwyer 1-0.