Match Reports‎ > ‎

Senior Team’s Unbeaten Record Ended in Old Leighlin

posted 11 May 2013, 03:41 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers suffered their first defeat in this years Carlow S.F.L. Div. 1 when they had to play second fiddle to a well tuned Old Leighlin at Molaise Park in Old Leighlin on Friday 10th May. In a repeat of the 2011 Co. final and a dress rehersal for the S.F.C. opener at the end of July Tinryland opened the scoring after only 60 seconds when Cathal O’Toole slotted over a point after good work from Shane O’Neill and Shane Webb. The home side then sprung into action scoring 4 unanswered points in as many minutes from corner forwards Michael Cowman (3) and Cathal Coughlan.

An Ian Scully point in the 7th minute following good play from Michael Mullen and Paul Doyle was followed by a successful free from Ian after a foul on himself. Two Seamus Kinsella points then stretched the Old Leighlin lead to 3 points once again before an Ian Scully point from a free for a foul on Michael Mullen left the scoreboard reading 0-6 to 0-3 in favour of Karl O’Dwyers outfit after 15 minutes.

In the 17th minute Old Leighlin stamped their authority on the game when a passing movement involving centre forward Hughie Gahan and full forward Seamus Kinsella ended with the latter scoring a goal. It could have got even worse for Tinryland less than a minute later when midfielder David Bambrick was put clean through the Tinryland defence but his shot was inches wide of David Townsend’s goal. Old Leighlin were flying now and 2 further Kinsella points by the 20th minute stretched their advantage to 7 before a Michael Mullen ’45 and a great Ian Scully point lifted Tinryland spirits. The latter score was the result of a great passing movement involving Garry Morrissey, Conor Byrne and Michael Mullen. The final acts of the first half saw Old Leighlin consolidate their lead with points from Michael Meaney and David Bambrick to leave the interval scoreboard reading 1-10 to 0-6 in the home teams favour.

When play resumed Diarmaid Walshe and Glen Doyle replaced Shane Webb and Cian Lawlor but it was the home side who resumed where they had left off scoring points from Seamus Kinsella and Aidan Nolan within two minutes. Tinryland finally awoke from their slumbers and over the next 20 minutes they held their opponents scoreless and added on three points from Diarmaid Walshe (2) and Michael Mullen with the latter score coming after good play involving Walshe, Byrne, Morrissey and Glen Doyle. Old Leighlin then closed their account in the 54th minute when Michael Cowman capped a fine evenings work with another point before Ian Scully was inches wide at the other end with a goalbound shot. Tinryland midfielder John Dwyer picked up a nasty looking injury near the end of this game.Final score Old Leighlin 1-13 Tinryland 0-9

Tinryland seniors resume league action on Friday next 17th May with a home fixture against another of our championship opponents Naomh Eoin at 7 p.m.

The final four league games will be against Rathvilly, Kilbride, O Hanrahans and the postponed fixture with St Andrews and 3 more wins should ensure a place in the knockout stages of the league for the 3rd year in succession.

Team: David Townsend, Eddie Dowling, Mark Dempsey, Cian Lawlor, Shane Webb, Garry Morrissey, Shane O’Neill, John Dwyer, Conor Byrne, Matthew O’Toole, Paul Doyle, Michael Mullen 0-2, Niall Barrett, Ian Scully 0-4, Cathal O’Toole 0-1. Subs Diarmaid Walshe 0-2, Glen Doyle, Padraig Delaney.