Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFC Round 1 vs Kilbride

posted 18 Jul 2011, 06:17 by

Tinryland safely clear first championship hurdle with impressive 2nd half display

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers overcame a stubborn Kilbride challenge to win their opening game in the 2011 senior football championship at Dr Cullen park on Sunday 17th July.

With wind advantage in the first half Tinryland failed to capitalise and were behind by one point when referee Paud O’Dwyer sounded the half time whistle.

Early points from Keith Jackson and Evan Doyle were matched by a pair from Kilbride wing back Mark Curry before a Robbie Power point in the 11th minute put Tinryland ahead. Ian Scully increased the Tinryland lead when he raised a white flag in the 13th minute before Stephen Curry got one back for the Kilbride men with a great score after 19 minutes. A Keith Jackson point in the 21st minute left Tinryland ahead by 5 points to 3 but with Kilbride enjoying a midfield dominance at this stage the men from the Ardattin and Ballon area finished the half with a flourish scoring three unanswered points from Padraig Nolan, Stephen Curry and Jim Fitzpatrick to lead by that single point at the break.

With the strong wind against them Tinryland had it all to do now but the scores were level after only 50 seconds when Ian Scully pointed and the lead was restored 3 minutes later when the superb Keith Jackson slotted over a great point after some outstanding interplay involving five different players. A Stephen Curry point briefly had the sides level again in the 36th minute before Danny Moran restored the Tinryland lead one minute later. Robbie Power for Tinryland and James Foley for Kilbride then exchanged points while Ian Scully had a great chance of a goal but Kilbride goalkeeper Derry O’ Toole somehow got his foot to the ball and kept his side in the game. Tinryland then introduced subs Paul Broderick, Paul Doyle and Glen Doyle and the fresh legs gave the team a new lease of life. Points from Shane Redmond, Paul Doyle and Glen Doyle were matched by 2 from Kilbride via Darragh Foley and James Foley but it was Tinryland who had the final say with a pair of points from Robbie Power and Glen Doyle.

Tinryland will now go into their second championship game with St Patricks in Kildavin on Friday next at 7.30 p.m. in confident mood. Goalkeeper Trevor O’Reilly was well supported by the entire back line of John Paul Moore, Conor Byrne, Peter Doran, Danny Moran, Shane Redmond and Niall Barrett. At midfield Keith Jackson who had an excellent game and Cian Moore eventually got the better of Darragh Foley and Joe Waters while up front the 9 Tinryland forwards used Cormac Walshe, Gary Morrissey, Padraig Townsend, Ian Scully, Evan Doyle, Robbie Power and subs Paul Broderick, Paul Doyle and Glen Doyle all contributed to a significent win.