Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFC Round 3 Tinryland vs Éire Óg

posted 15 Aug 2011, 01:44 by
Tinryland Seniors edge closer to knockout stages of Carlow S.F.C.

by Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers moved a step closer to the knockout stages of the 2011 Carlow Senior football championship with a hard fought draw against our old rivals Eire Go in an entertaining 3rd round game at Dr Cullen Park on Sunday 14th August.

The result was all the more meritorious as Tinryland were forced to play with 14 players for almost 40 minutes following Garry Morrissey’s dismissal on a second yellow card late in the first half.

That half was a low scoring affair but Tinryland were well worth their 4 point half time lead having held Eire Go scoreless for 25 minutes and clocking up 6 points despite kicking 8 wides also. Evan Doyle opened the Tinryland account when he pointed a free in the 7th minute and the boys in blue and white had doubled their account by the 11th minute when Ian Scully pointed following good work by Robbie Power, Keith Jackson and Evan Doyle. A full 12 minutes then went by without either team registering a score but Tinryland could have easily been further ahead as Ian Scully, Garry Morrissey, Scully again and Keith Jackson were all wide with their efforts during that 12 minute spell.

Keith Jackson who was having a great game at centerfield finally hit the target in the 23rd minute to put the hoops ahead by 0-3 to 0-0 and seconds later it was 0-4 to 0-0 when Comic Walshe raised a white flag. Eire Og finally got on the score sheet in the 25th minute when Mark Kelly fisted a point and there was only 2 points between the sides by the 30th minute after midfielder Daniel Walker had scored another point for the Y. I’s.

The final stages of the half saw Tinryland slot over two further points in the 31st and 33rd minutes from Jackson and Power but we were dealt a cruel blow deep in stoppage time when referee Part Ahern dismissed Garry Morrissey on a second yellow card after an altercation with Eire Og’s midfielder who seemed intent in trying to get a Tinryland player sent off. The galling thing about the dismissal of Garry was the fact that he was only trying to protect himself and also it happened seconds after Paul Broderick had been felled shortly after he was introduced as a substitute for Ian Scully but no match official seemed to see that incident.

A stirring half time team talk by manager Martin Murphy and captain Shane Redmond set the players up for the second half battle but it was the town team who were quickest out of the blocks with 2 points from Murtagh Ware and sub Derek Hayden within 2 minutes of the restart. Keith Jackson once again steadied the Tinryland ship when he pointed in the 33rd minute and with Glen Doyle coming on for the injured John Paul Moore the action continued until Eire Go scored another point via Alan O’Brien in the 40th minute. Tinryland then responded once again and Evan Doyle slotted over a free from an acute angle in the 42nd minute before Comic Mullins reduced the margin to 2 points once again. Another Evan Doyle point after 44 minutes was matched by a Comic Mullins one 4 minutes later but Eire Go were gradually upping the ante introducing Andy Byrne and James Ryan into battle with Matthew O’Toole coming on for the injured Niall Barrett with 9 minutes remaining. Tinryland despite being under severe pressure with the handicap of 14 players went 3 ahead once again with 8 minutes remaining but Eire Og then had a purple patch over the next 7 minutes scoring 5 points via Mark Kelly (3), Cormac Mullins, and Daniel Walker,  to leave them ahead by 2 entering 7 minutes of stoppage time. It was then that Tinryland showed their true character and the margin was reduced to 1 when Robbie Power won a free which was pointed by Paul Broderick and when Broderick scored another free in the 37th minute Tinryland had gained a valuable point in the group table with games against Old Leighlin next Sunday and Kildavin-Clonegal the following week. Tinryland could in fact have won all the points as Glen Doyle and Padraig Townsend were narrowly wide in the dying seconds.

All the Tinryland players and the subs introduced were heroes on Sunday with Trevor O’Reilly in goal receiving great support from the entire defence of Jeff Sutton, Conor Byrne, John Paul Moore, Danny Moran, captain Shane Redmond and Niall Barrett.

At midfield Keith Jackson and Cian Moore were excellent throughout while up front Garry Morrissey was desperately unlucky to be sent off but the rest of the forwards gave it everything with Padraig Townsend, Cormac Walshe, Evan Doyle, Robbie Power, Ian Scully, Glen Doyle, Paul Broderick and sub Matthew O’Toole all making a significent contribution to an excellent and entertaining game.