Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFC Round 4 vs Old Leighlin

posted 22 Aug 2011, 07:39 by

Tinryland suffer first defeat in this years S.F.C. by one point to Co Champions

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers lost out by the minimum margin to Co champions Old Leighlin in a high tempo game at Dr Cullen park on Sunday evening 21st August. This result means that Tinryland need at least one point against Kildavin Clonegal in the final group B game next Sunday evening. This was a game that Tinryland could have won as there was a least half a dozen scorable chances wasted in the first half when we had the advantage of the strong breeze. Opening points from Evan Doyle and Paul Broderick gave Tinryland a 2 point advantage in the first 10 minutes and it took Old Leighlin 13 minutes to register their opening score but they were on level terms one minute later when Pat Hickey slotted over a free. Tinryland regained the lead in the 15th minute when Cormac Walsh pointed following good work by Cian Moore and Padraig Townsend.

A great point by Garry Morrissey in the 21st minute put the boys in blue and white two points clear but the wides were also being clocked up with Cormac Walshe, Keith Jackson and Paul Broderick all missing scorable chances. The closing stages saw Niall Barrett and Paul Broderick raise white flags and the teams retired at half time with Tinryland leading by 0-6 to 0-3.

The second half began with the Co champions really turning the screw and within 7 minutes they had turned the game on its head with a goal and three points to leave the score 1-6 to 0-7 with Paul Broderick scoring Tinryland’s solitary point during that Old Leighlin period of dominance.  The Co champions continued to pile on the pressure and they had stretched into a six point lead by the 46th minute. Tinryland finally began to cope with the pressure scoring three points via Paul Broderick, Evan Doyle and sub Paul Doyle between the 47th and 55th minutes to leave 4 points between the sides with 2 minutes remaining. Evan Doyle was then grounded in the square and referee Jimmy Lawlor signalled a penalty which was converted by Paul Broderick but shortly afterwards the referee signalled full time and the match ended with Old Leighlin winning by 1-11 to 1-10.  The lads were disappointed at the end but there is still a great chance for Tinryland to reach the knockout stages as a draw against Kildavin Clonegal next Sunday will suffice. The Wexford border team were shock winners over a dissappointing Eire Og in the curtain raiser at Dr Cullen park and they will be a tough nut to crack next Sunday.

Tinryland team: Trevor O’Reilly, Jeff Sutton, Conor Byrne, John Paul Moore, Danny Moran, Shane Redmond captain, Niall Barrett, Cian Moore, Keith Jackson, Cormac Walshe, Padraig Townsend, Garry Morrissey, Paul broderick, Evan Doyle, Robbie Power. Subs used Cathal O’Toole, Glen Doyle, Paul Doyle