Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFC Round 5 Vs Kildavin-Clonegal

posted 29 Aug 2011, 08:32 by

Tinryland Seniors advance to knockout stage of  S.F.C. with victory over Kildavin

 By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland advanced to the quarter final of the Carow S.F.C. with a hard earned 4 point victory against Kildavin-Clonegal at Dr Cullen Park on Sunday evening 28th August.

Tinryland can thank their Co. Goalkeeper Trevor O’Reilly who brought off a number of top class saves during the game including a penalty save from Daniel St Ledger near the end which if converted would have levelled the game entering stoppage time. The backs also must be mentioned for some heroic defending in both halves but in truth Tinryland should have never been in such a tight situation. Playing against the stiff breeze in the first half the men in blue and white got off to a perfect start with Evan Doyle slotting over the opening point after only 30 seconds. Kildavin-Clonegal were then denied a goal when Trevor O’Reilly brought off a wonderful save seconds later but a Paul Broderick point in the 5th minute was quickly followed by an Ian Scully goal to put Tinryland 5 points clear after 6 minutes. Garry Morrissey for Tinryland and Richie Sinnott for KC then traded points before Paul Broderick extended Tinryland’s lead to six points with ten minutes remaining in the first half. A Daryl Roberts point was matched by one from Padraig Townsend but Tinryland were also guilty of many bad misses a trait that has been common all year. The final score of the half came from Kildavin- Clonegal when Daniel St Ledger slotted over a free one minute before the break. The score at half time was 1-5 to 0-3 but it should have been a lot more considering the amount of play the Tinryland forwards enjoyed. Turning over with wind advantage many expected Tinryland to push on and put the issue beyond doubt but it was Kildavin-Clonegal who took the game to Tinryland and a David Byrne goal after 10 minutes narrowed the margin to 3 points and the gap was down to 2 by the 15th minute of the second half when St Ledger pointed another free. Paul Broderick and Richard Sinnott then traded points before Broderick and Evan Doyle gave Tinryland breathing space with two further points with 6 minutes remaining. Tinryland continued to keep Kildavin- Clonegal in the game with sloppy play that saw the ball turned over on numerous occasions and not needing too many more invitations the Wexford border side narrowed the gap to 3 points with 2 minutes remaining and shortly after were awarded the penalty that could have scuppered Tinryland’s hopes of making the knockout stages against the O’Hanrahans on Saturday 17th September. With St Ledger’s penalty brilliantly saved by Trevor Tinryland went on to score the insurance point from Paul Broderick and St Ledger capped a miserable evening by getting a red card for an off the ball incident.

Tinryland were very relieved to hear the final whistle and will look forward to the O’Hanrahans game on 17th September when hopefully many of the mistakes will not be repeated. Final score Tinryland 1-10 Kildavin-Clonegal 1-6  Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Peter Doran, Conor Byrne, John Paul Moore, Danny Moran, Shane Redmond captain, Niall Barrett, Cian Moore, Keith Jackson, Paul Broderick 0-5, Padraig Townsend 0-2, Garry Morrissey 0-1, Ian Scully 1-0, Evan Doyle 0-2, Glen Doyle. Subs used Paul Doyle, Matthew O’Toole.