Match Reports‎ > ‎

S.F.L. Div. 1 Tinryland V Old Leighlin

posted 12 Jun 2018, 02:10 by

By Eamonn Byrne

                Old Leighlin 3-10                                            Tinryland 1-10

With a place at stake in the S.F.L. division 1 semi-final this game had a championship flavour on a warm evening in Molaise Park on Tuesday last. Showing much improvement from their previous game against Rathvilly, Tinryland took this game to the home side from the start. 3 early points from Matthew O’Toole, Rory Doyle and O’Toole again gave the visitors a 3 point cushion before the home side opened their account after 15 minutes with a Seamus Kinsella point. Aaron Amond reduced the margin to the minimum before Tinryland replied with a John Murphy point in the 19th minute. Exchanges were tough at this stage and another Seamus Kinsella point for Old Leighlin was matched by a Cormac Walshe point to leave 2 points separating the sides after 25 minutes.

The fast pace of the game continued despite the warm conditions and a Mikey Bambrick point for the home team was followed by a brilliantly worked goal for Tinryland from David Townsend. The first half scoring ended with an Old Leighlin point from Cathal Coughlan to leave the visitors leading by 3 points at the interval.

Early second half points for Tinryland by Cormac Walshe and Conor O’Toole were matched by Derek Butler and Cathal Coughlan for Old Leighlin and when Seamus Kinsella raised another white flag in the 40th minute Old Leighlin supporters sensed a comeback was on the cards. To their credit Tinryland kept taking the game to their opponents and two quick points from sub Glen Doyle and Niall Lowry kept their lead intact entering the final quarter. Old Leighlin were then denied a goal when Ciaran Byrne deflected a Seamus Kinsella piledriver over the bar and the home team’s tails were up in the 47th minute when Cathal Coughlan found the Tinryland net after a good passing movement. Niall Lowry closed the Tinryland account with a point from a free in the 55th minute as the Old Leighlin onslaught on the Tinryland defence continued. David Bambrick a second half substitute slotted over a point and in the space of 3 minutes Aaron Amond found the net twice to ensure a league semi- final place for his team.

Old Leighlin: James Clarke, Declan Kelly, Michael Meaney ( Blackbush), Kevin Carpenter, Sean Bambrick, Willie Minchin, Padraig Coughlan, Mikey Bambrick 0-1, Ian Atkinson, Derek Butler 0-1, Cathal Coughlin 1-2, Declan Gough, Brendan Kinsella, Aaron Amond 2-1, Seamus Kinsella 0-4. Sub. David Bambrick 0-1.

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Conor Ryan, Conor Byrne, Fionnan Burke, Rory Doyle 0-1, John Paul Moore, Cathal Gaffney, Cian Moore, John Murphy 0-1, Niall Lowry 0-2, Matthew O’Toole 0-2, Conor O’Toole 0-1, Cormac Walshe 0-2, Paul Doyle, David Townsend 1-0. Subs: Glen Doyle 0-1, David O’Shea.