Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFL Division 1 Final vs Éire Óg

posted 12 Jul 2011, 02:31 by
Tinryland lose to Eire Og in League Final by one point

By Eamonn Byrne

There was heartache for Tinryland senior footballers in the Carlow S.F.L Division 1 final at Dr Cullen Park on Sunday 10th July when losing by the minimum margin to old rivals

Eire Og in the dying seconds after a dour close fought encounter.

Tinryland’s cause was not helped when 2 key players cried off just before the throw in and we were further hampered mid way through the second half when Padraig Townsend was dismissed on a second yellow card at a stage when the match was very much in the melting pot. In a close fought first half Tinryland played the better football but some awful misses from frees saw the boys in blue and white only register 3 points courtesy of Keith Jackson, Garry Morrissey and Cormac Walshe. In fairness Tinryland could have been behind at the interval as Eire Og struck the post with a penalty in the closing stages of that opening half. A Murtagh Ware point after only 40 seconds of the second half was matched by a Shane Redmond beauty seconds later and further points from Keith Jackson and Evan Doyle left Tinryland 2 points ahead after 34 minutes. Further points by Evan Doyle and Cormac Walshe left Tinryland one point ahead with 18 minutes remaining but that last Walshe point proved to be Tinryland’s last score as the team had to defend after Padraig Townsend’s dismissal. To their credit the lads never gave up and we had a few chances to regain the lead but it was Eire Og’s night and an Alan O Brien point sealed a victory for the town team. Tinryland must take the positives out of this game and the entire league campaign that saw the team win 8 matches and prove that we are back competing with the best in Carlow again.Our defence was superb on Sunday with goalkeeper Darren Murphy and full backs Jeff Sutton, Conor Byrne and Padraig Delaney getting great support from the half back line of Danny Moran, Shane Redmond and Niall Barrett. At midfield Keith Jackson once again put in a tremendous hours football with Glen Doyle giving everything despite carrying a long term injury. The half forward line of Cormac Walshe, Garry Morrissey and Padraig Townsend worked hard despite close attention from the Eire Og half back line while up front Ian Scully , Evan Doyle and Robbie Power worked their socks off despite coming up against a strong YI full back line of Vinny and Benny Kavanagh and Paul McElligott who have all been involved with the Carlow senior team. Tinryland introduced subs Padraig Whelan, Peter Doran, Cian Moore and Trevor O’Reilly and attention will now turn to next Sunday in Dr Cullen Park when the championship begins with a vital game against Kilbride. Tinryland had great support in Dr Cullen park on Sunday and it is hoped that the fans will turn out once again on Sunday next for the Kilbride game. Final score Eire Og 0-9 Tinryland 0-8