Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFL Division 1 Tinryland vs Éire Óg

posted 3 Apr 2011, 03:44 by   [ updated 4 Apr 2011, 07:48 ]
Eire Og 1-16                   Tinryland 1-9

After 2 wins against Mount Leinster Rangers and Fenagh Tinryland were brought back down to earth by our town rivals Eire Og who proved too strong in a match played in miserable conditions on Saturday 2nd April. A combination of a litany of injuries, Co. team duty and other excuses resulted in a weakened team taking the field against one of our traditional rivals. Eire Og opened the scoring after 2 minutes and were never headed thereafter with the town team leading by 0-10 to 0-04 at half time. Tinryland’s points in the opening half were scored by Niall Barrett in the 3rd minute, Garry Morrissey 14th minute with Padraig Whelan slotting over two quick points in the 16th and 17th minute to leave only 1 point between the sides at that stage. Eire Og dominated the remaining minutes of the 1st half scoring 5 unanswered points with full forward Mark Kelly inflicting a lot of damage on the Tinryland defence.

The second half began with Tinryland taking the fight to Eire Og and a Garry Morrissey point in the opening minute was followed by a Padraig Whelan goal one minute later to leave only 2 points between the teams. Tinryland scored four further points in the 2nd half via Jaff Sutton, Garry Morrissey Evan Doyle and Keith Jackson but that half turned out to be a disaster for Tinryland with Cormac Walshe, Keith Jackson and Paul Costello picking up injuries to add to the ever growing list that now includes Cian Moore, Paul Doyle, Glen Doyle, Paul Broderick,  & Chris Cleary. The game fizzled out in the closing stages with Eire Og scoring their only goal in the 57th minute to enable them to run out 7 point winners at the end.

Tinryland are back in action away to Palatine on this coming Friday night at 8 p.m. and the one month break from league action is sure to be welcomed considering the amount of walking wounded we have at present.