Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFL Division 1 Tinryland vs Fenagh

posted 28 Mar 2011, 06:21 by

Venue: Tinryland 27th March 2011

Tinryland 2-15                                                   Fenagh 0-8

Tinryland senior footballers made it two wins from two played when easily accounting for Fenagh in the Carlow S.F.L. division 1 at Rathcrogue on Sunday afternoon 27th March. Having defeated Mount Leinster Rangers on the previous Monday Tinryland were short the 3 Barrett brothers, Cian Moore and Jeff Sutton together with Shane Redmond, Trevor O’Reilly and John Paul Moore on Co. senior duty but had their county U21 players Cormac Walshe, Conor Byrne, Robbie Power, Matthew O’Toole and Darren Murphy back in action together with Paul Costello and Gary Morrissey who started the ‘Rangers game on the bench. The game was only minutes old when Robbie Power received a leg injury after a nasty challenge that should have warranted a card but went unpunished by referee Jimmy Lawler.  

Three Paul Broderick points in the opening 7 minutes set the boys in blue and white on their way before Fenagh midfielder Gary Dillon pointed a free after 9 minutes. The inform Broderick further extended the Tinryland lead with another point in the 10th minute which was added to one minute later by a Padraig Townsend special from an acute angle. Paul Broderick put the game further out of the Fenagh reach when he crashed home a great goal in the 15th minute.

Fenagh then enjoyed their best spell scoring 3 points from Gary Dillon, Craig Wall and James Kinsella before Tinryland got 3 unanswered points in the closing stages of the 1st half from Paul Broderick, Cormac Walshe and Keith Jackson.

Leading by 1-9 to 0-4 Tinryland took ten minutes to open their 2nd half account but during that period good defensive work by Danny Moran, Paul Costello, Peter Doran, Matthew O’Toole, Conor Byrne and Padraig Delaney kept the Fenagh men at bay and with Keith Jackson and Cormac Walshe beginning to dominate midfield  the home team led by 1-14 to 0-7 with 5 minutes remaining. Full forward Evan Doyle together with Gary Morrissey, Padraig Whelan and Paul Broderick all got in on the scoring act in that period and the score of the game for the home side came with 4 minutes remaining when midfielder Keith Jackson after good work by Padraig Delaney scored a goal out of the top drawer to put the issue firmly beyond doubt. The game ended with with Jackson for Tinryland and Dillon for Fenagh exchanging points to leave the final score Tinryland 2-15  Fenagh 0-8. Tinryland substitute James Dempsey who replaced Robbie Power was forced to retire with a hamstring injury in the second half and was replaced by veteran Eddie Dowling who performed well as did Tinryland’s other sub James Moore.

The next game in the S.F.L division 1 takes place on Saturday next at 7.30 p.m and fireworks are expected when Tinryland entertain Eire Og who are also unbeaten in the league to date.