Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFL Semi-Final vs Palatine 2 July 2011

posted 3 Jul 2011, 04:56 by

Tinryland senior footballers reach League final for first time in 20 years

 By Eamon Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers reached the Carlow S.F.L. division 1 final for the first time since 1991 with a sparkling performance against neighbours and hot favourites Palatine in the semi final at Dr. Cullen Park on Saturday evening 2nd July. Tinryland will now face old rivals Eire Og who defeated Rathvilly in the other semi final in a mouth watering final to be played in Dr Cullen Park on Sunday next 10th July at 7.30 p.m.

The last time Tinryland won the league was in 1968 when Eire Og were also the opposition

Saturdays semi final saw the boys in blue and white produce some of their best football for many a long day. Tinryland were first to settle and Evan Doyle and Robbie Power who both had great games put the men in blue and white 2 points clear by the 6th minute before Palatine rocked us back to reality with a goal and 2 points to lead  by 3 points after 15 minutes. Tinryland did not panic and points from Keith Jackson and Ian Scully in the 17th and 18th minutes left the minimum between the sides before Pal went two ahead once again by the 20th minute. The last ten minutes of the first half were fiercely contested but Tinryland more than held their own and we were rewarded when Cormac Walshe and Robbie Power scored points in the 21st minute and 26th minute.

With 2 minutes remaining in the opening half Niall Barrett who had a superb game at wing back cut open the Palatine defence before dispatching the ball to the net to regain the lead.

On the stroke of half time Brian (Skeough) Kelly levelled matters when he slotted over a free . After an inspirational team talk at half time by manager Martin Murphy Tinryland were quickly out of the blocks in the second half with Cormac Walshe scoring three vital points in the opening 9 minutes and Evan Doyle slotting over another free which cancelled out a Skeough Kelly free 3 minutes earlier.

Mid way through the 2nd half Tinryland led by 3 points and the margin was still the same with ten minutes remaining after Ian Scully matched a Palatine point 5 minutes earlier.

With Tinryland continuing to apply pressure we were rewarded in the 21st minute when Evan Doyle found the net after great work by his brother Glen, Ian Scully, Padraig Townsend and Keith Jackson. Tinryland were now 6 points ahead and despite 2 Palatine points in the 22nd and 26th minutes Robbie Power and Evan Doyle finished as they started by slotting over 2 more points before Pal got a consolation score near the end.

In an all round team performance goalkeeper Darren Murphy and his full back line of Jeff Sutton, Conor Byrne and Padraig Delaney were excellent throughout. The half back line led by John Paul Moore, Niall Barret and Danny Moran were always in the thick of the action while at mid field Keith Jackson, Cian Moore and sub Glen Doyle more than held their own with Niall Reid and Jason Kane. Up front the Tinryland forwards were excellent with Evan Doyle scoring 1-3, Cormac Walshe 0-4, Robbie Power 0-3, Ian Scully 0-2 to add to Niall Barretts goal and Keith Jacksons point. The other Tinryland forwards Padraig Townsend and Garry Morrissey worked their socks off for the full hour while defensive sub Padraig Whelan made a great contribution also.

There was a great buzz in the club following this win and all the Tinryland supporters who left Dr Cullen Park on Saturday evening are already looking forward to the final next Sunday against Eire Og.