Match Reports‎ > ‎

St Patricks deny Tinryland a first win in division 5 with a strong 2nd half performance

posted 20 Apr 2016, 12:46 by

By eamonn Byrne

For the 4th week in a row Tinryland fielded a 3rd squad in division 5 which was an achievement in itself considering how many regulars were missing because of college and other commitments.

In the previous game team selector John Farrell had to don the goalkeepers jersey to make up 15 and in this game former goalie David O’Neill who is on a flying visit from Canada manned the goal and did a fine job making a string of fine saves which kept Tinryland in contention in the first half. David was joined on the comeback trail by John Sparks Murphy who wore the hoops for the first time in a number of years while another comeback kid was Brian Deane who went straight from juvenile coaching duties into the half back line.

Before the game a minutes silence was observed in memory of local girl Kayleigh Delaney who sadly passed away at the weekend

When the action began it was the away side that opened the scoring when corner forward Mick Byrne converted a free. Tinryland replied with 2 quick points from Cormac Kelly and Gregg Murphy with the former score the product of great play by Paddy Byrne, John Whyte, and John Sparks Murphy who set up Cormac for the opening score. In the 6th minute it got even better for the home side when Barry Power finished a movement involving Cormac Kelly while one minute later Tinryland pulled 5 points ahead with a fisted point from Sparks who was showing well for the ball despite his long absence from the game.

Tullow then settled down and a goal in the 12th minute from Eoin O’Toole brought them back into contention and by the 17th minute matters were all square following 2 further points for the Slaneysiders from O’Toole and wing forward Ben Hade. Barry Power and Lorcan O’Toole traded points in the 19th and 21st minutes before St. Patricks finished the 1st half with a flourish with 4 consecutive points from Lorcan O’Toole, Rory Jones, Aaron Campbell and Eoin O’Toole. Half time score St. Patricks 2-8 Tinryland 1-4.

When referee Michael McNally from Ballinabranna re-started proceedings it was St. Patricks who were first on the scoreboard with an Aaron Campbell point. Tinryland quickly replied with a very well worked goal by Cormac Kelly following good play by John Jackson and Gregg Murphy. Tullow’s response was instant however and the ball was in the net at the other end within 2 minutes when Paul Canavans shot flew past David O’Neill. St. Pats then lost their full back Anthony Moran to a black card but it did not affect their momentum and they added another goal from Eoin O’Toole who finished with a hat trick and points from Sid Hogan and Colm Kenny before Cormac Kelly and Brian Mullen closed the Tinryland account with 2 well taken points. Tinryland will have a break next week in division 5 and then travel to play O’Hanrahans on Tuesday 3rd May before playing 2 further away matches in the Fighting Cocks and Ballon on the 10th and 17th May. The league campaign concludes on Tuesday 24th May with a home game against Fenagh. Final score St. Patricks 4-11 Tinryland 2-6.

Tinryland: David O’Neill, Alan Byrne, Joey Ryan, Paddy Byrne, Gregg Murphy 0-1, John Whyte, Brian Deane, Cormac Kelly 1-2, Adam Mullen, Cathal Whelan, John Jackson, Brian Mullen 0-1, John “Sparks” Murphy 0-1, Barry Power 1-1, Gavin Power.

St. Patricks: Jamie Garry, David Brady, Anthony Moran, Gary Maxwell, Seamus Comerford, John Kenny, Rory Jones 0-2, Lorcan O’Toole 0-2, Jamie Byrne, Ben Hade 0-1, Aaron Campbell 0-2, Eoin O’Toole 3-1, Colm Kenny 0-1, Paul Canavan 1-0, Mick Byrne 0-1, Sid Hogan 0-1.