Match Reports‎ > ‎

Strong finish by Tinryland Junior A team wins the points against Naomh Eoin in Division 4

posted 10 Apr 2015, 04:54 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland Junior A team defeated Naomh Eoin in a competitive S.F.L. Division 4 tie in Rathcrogue on Thursday 9th April. Despite missing two penalties the boys in blue and white were well worth their six point win in the end after being down 5 points mid- way through the first half.

Garry Fields opened the scoring for Tinryland within 20 seconds of the throw in but 3 quick points from Trevor Minchin, Donal Smithers and Michael Treacy edged the men from Myshall two points clear by the 6th minute. Garry Fields then pulled a point back for Tinryland before the same player missed a penalty awarded for a foul on Padraig Whelan. Naomh Eoin then responded to this let off by quickly scoring a goal via full forward Michael Treacy before Dean Farrell scored a magnificent point for Tinryland after good work by Jack Lowry and Owen O’Gorman. Shane O’Neill who was having a good game then won a free and Padraig Whelan duly converted to leave three points separating the sides with 20 minutes played. Another wonderful score this time from Garry Fields after good work from O’Gorman, Gregg Murphy and Whelan narrowed the gap further. Tinryland were now at last finding their stride and two quick points from jack Lowry after more good play from Murphy and Alan Kirwan levelled matters with 8 minutes remaining in the opening half.

At this stage Dean Farrell picked up a leg injury and he was replaced by Kevin Barrett. Myshall edged ahead once again when Michael Treacy pointed but Tinryland once more responded in positive fashion when a great passing movement that started with goalkeeper david Townsend and involving corner back Eddie Dowling saw the ball despatched to jack Lowry who once again slotted over the equaliser to tie matters at half time 0-8 to 1-5.

The second half began without a score from either side until the deadlock was broken in the 40th minute when Donal Smithers converted a free for the naomh Eoin men but matters were all square at the three quarter stage when Padraig Whelan converted a ’45. Great work by Conor O’Toole saw another free being awarded to Tinryland and quick thinking by Shane O’Neill saw the ball transferred to Whelan once again and the Tinryland centre forward edged his team ahead with 13 minutes left. Dwane Kavanagh responded for the Myshall men with 11 minutes remaining as Eoin Fields replaced owen O’Gorman for Tinryland. The sub was barely on the field two minutes when he despatched the ball to the Myshall net following superb play by Garry Fields and Padraig Whelan. Donal Smithers then converted another free for Naomh Eoin but it was all Tinryland now and a super point from Conall O’Se was followed by a wonderful goal from the same player after more good work from Eoin and Garry Fields. Tinryland then withstood a final Naomh Eoin onslaught to run out winners on a final scoreline of 2-11 to 1-8. The Junior A team will be back in action on Thursday next 16th April with an away fixture with Eire Og in Pairc Ui Bhrian at 7 p.m.

Tinryland: David Townsend, Eddie Dowling, Mark Lawlor, Adam Dunne, Conor O’Toole, Padraig Delaney, Jack Lowry 0-3, Gregg Murphy, Alan Kirwan, Owen O’Gorman, Padraig Whelan 0-3, Dean Farrell 0-1, Garry Fields 0-3, Shane O’Neill, Conall O’Se 1-1. Subs Kevin Barrett, Eoin Fields 1-0.

Man of the match Shane O’Neill