Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland and Old Leighlin share the spoils in Carlow J.F.C. B quarter final

posted 18 Sep 2015, 12:27 by

   By Eamonn Byrne       

Tinryland and Old Leighlin must meet again to determine who advances to meet Asca in the J.F.C. (B) semi-final on Saturday 26th September after the sides finished all square in the quarter final at the Netwatch training centre in Fenagh on Wednesday 16th September.

While Tinryland had to come from behind to salvage the draw having led for two thirds of the contest it would have been a disaster had they lost after so many chances were squandered in the opening half.

The men in blue and white hoops led by 1-4 to 0-1 after 17 minutes with the goal coming in the 13th minute from the lively David Townsend after great play by Killian Maher, Adam Murphy and Padraig Townsend. In that first half Tinryland kicked 9 wides with David Townsend unlucky not to score another goal in the 20th minute when the upright protected the Old Leighlin goal with the keeper Eamonn Tobin beaten. Taking heart from the number of Tinryland wides and misses Old Leighlin who failed to score at all in the opening 15 minutes gradually clawed their way back into the contest out-scoring Tinryland by 6 points to 1 in the second half of the first period. Tinryland’s other points in the opening half were scored by Garry Fields (16th minute) after good play by John Murphy, Gregg Murphy (17th minute) following good work by Killian Maher and David Townsend, and Dean Farrell 24th minute after a quick free by Adam Dunne.

When referee Pat Murphy sounded the half time whistle it was all to play for with Tinryland leading by 1-5 to 0-6

Within 60 seconds of the re-start the minimum separated the teams after an Old Leighlin point from Tommy Lynch but two quick Padraig Townsend points following good play by Killian Maher, Garry Fields, Padraig Delaney and John Murphy restored Tinryland’s 3 point advantage. Old Leighlin then stayed in contact with a point from Aaron Amond before Dean Farrell was unlucky with a goal attempt that would have given Tinryland some breathing space entering the final third of the game.

A great Padraig Townsend point with 20 minutes remaining extended the Tinryland lead once again but Old Leighlin were  on level terms one minute later when a rasping shot from Tommy Lynch rattled the Tinryland net to leave the scoreboard reading 1-8 each and all to play for. Tinryland briefly regained the lead in the 45th minute with a Padraig Delaney point following good play by Garry Fields as Jack Lowry was introduced for Eddie Dowling. Two minutes later Aaron Amond restored parity once again for Old Leighlin and the men from Molaise park edged ahead with 10 minutes remaining following a successful free from Gearoid Foley. Back came Tinryland and a great Dean Farrell point levelled matters once again before Old Leighlin regained the lead with a point that could easily have been a goal only for a wonderful deflection by Tinryland keeper Ciaran Byrne. With Owan O’Gorman replacing Greg Murphy and Adam Mullen coming on for Jack Lowry who only spent 8 minutes on the pitch it was Tinryland that levelled once again with a wonderful David Townsend point with 7 minutes left on the stopwatch. Back came Old Leighlin to edge ahead once again in the 55th minute before Padraig Whelan brought the tie to a replay with a well struck free which he had won himself.

Final score Tinryland 1-12 Old Leighlin 1-12

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Eddie Dowling captain, Peter Doran, Sean Kirwan, Killian Maher, John Murphy, Adam Dunne, Adam Murphy, Gregg Murphy 0-1, Padraic Whelan 0-1, Padraig Delaney 0-1, Dean Farrell 0-2, Garry Fields 0-1, Padraig T