Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland and Rathvilly Share Spoils in U-17 League

posted 26 Nov 2012, 10:35 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland 2-9                                                                Rathvilly 2-9


Tinryland and Rathvilly served up a winter warmer in the opening game of the new Carlow U17 league played under floodlights at Rathcrogue on Friday last.

In a low scoring opening twenty minutes both sides could only manage a single point each with Ciaran Townsend opening Tinryland’s account in the 5th minute and Rathvilly wing forward Jack McMillan levelling matters in the 17th minute.

That score from the Wicklow border side proved to be their only one of the first half as the home side finally got their act together as half time approached. Points from John Fleming, Conall O’Shea, Ciaran Townsend and Barry Power and a superb goal from Eoin Fields following good work from Kuba Debosz and Brian Hosey left Tinryland with a commanding interval lead of 1-5 to 0-1.

On the restart Jack McMillan doubled Rathvilly’s tally with a well taken point after 60 seconds but this was cancelled out by a Conall O’Shea point one minute later. Rathvilly were now beginning to up the ante and a Glen Byrne goal in the 35th minute left only 4 points separating the sides. Rathvilly continued to apply pressure and 2 further points from Conor Owens and another from Colin Byrne saw the sides level by the 42nd minute. Barry Power briefly stemmed the Rathvilly tide when he regained the lead for Tinryland in the 44th minute and when Niall Lowry pointed one minute later the home side appeared to be pulling away once again. Two minutes later the sides were all square once again following well taken points for Rathvilly by Jack McMillan and Conor Owens. Glen Byrne then doubled his goal tally with 10 minutes remaining to put Rathvilly into the lead for the first time and when Conor Owens added another point with 8 minutes remaining Rathvilly seemed to be heading for victory. Tinryland finally began to awake from their second half siesta and when Owen O’Gorman pointed with 6 minutes left a goal once again separated the teams.

Tinryland made a number of raids in search of the equalising goal and they were rewarded with 2 minutes remaining when corner forward Conall O’ Shea crashed home a goal following a long delivery from midfield. Referee Tony O’Brien sounded the full time whistle two minutes later to leave both sides happy with their nights work. Best for Tinryland were defenders  Gearroid Dunbar, Conor O’Toole, Eoin Fields and Kuba Debosz while up front John Fleming, Niall Lowry, Conall O’Shea and Barry Power impressed. Rathvilly had impressive performers in full back Michael Kelly, half backs Liam O’Brien and Conor Byrne, midfielders Robert Ryan and Keith Curran together with Jack McMillan, Conor Owens and two goal hero Glen Byrne.

Tinryland: Peter Hennessy, Gearroid Dunbar, Mark Lawlor, Conor O’Toole, Brian Hosey, Kuba Debosz, Eoin Fields 1-0, Owen O’Gorman 0-1, Adam Murphy, John Fleming 0-1, Barry Power 0-2, Ciaran Townsend 0-2, Conall O’Shea 1-2, Stephen Hanlon, Niall Lowry 0-1.

Rathvilly: Darragh Donnelly, Ger Kavanagh 0-1, Michael Kelly, Thomas Kehoe, Conor Byrne, Liam O’Brien, Paul Curran, Keith Curran, Robert Ryan, Jack McMillan 0-4, Brian Smith, Glen Byrne 2-0, Aaron Smith, Dylan Connors, Thomas Reilly, Colin Byrne, Conor Owens 0-4.