Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland bow out of Carlow S.F.C. after 5 point defeat to Rathvilly in semi-final

posted 29 Sep 2014, 03:38 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers bowed out of the Michael Lyng motors Carlow S.F.C. when losing by 5 points to Rathvilly in the semi-final played at Dr. Cullen Park on Sunday 28th September.

Having started the match well Tinryland took the lead in the 6th minute when Cian Moore pointed after good play by Jeff Sutton and Paul Broderick. Rathvilly’s opening score came in the 9th minute when full forward Garry Dempsey raised a white flag but Tinryland were back in front 60 seconds later when Paul Broderick converted a ’45 which he had won himself. The scores were level again by the 12th minute when Garry Dempsey slotted over another point for the Wicklow border team but Tinryland then edged into a two point lead following two well taken points from Cormac Walshe and Paul Broderick. Cormac’s point was the product of good play between himself, Cathal O’Toole and Richard Whyte while Paul’s effort was the result of a great passing movement involving Richard Whyte and Padraig Townsend. After J.J. Smith had reduced Tinryland’s lead with a point in the 18th minute Tinryland went two points clear again one minute later when Paul Broderick converted a free won by centre back Shane Redmond. Rathvilly then went on the attack and reduced the margin to the minimum when their centre forward pointed.

The game then took a turn for the worse from a Tinryland point of view when Padraig Townsend was red carded and we were reduced to 14 players. Tinryland introduced Matthew O’Toole in place of his brother Cathal in an attempt to counter the extra man and Rathvilly pressure was rewarded when centre forward Brian Murphy slotted over another point which left the interval score Rathvilly 0-6 Tinryland 0-5

When the 2nd half began J.J. Smith extended the Rathvilly lead with a point after 60 seconds but Tinryland reduced the margin to one point again after another minute when Evan Doyle who had a great game won a free and Paul Broderick duly converted. Richard Whyte then had a half chance of a goal but we were back on level terms by the 34th minute when Paul Broderick won a free and duly converted it himself. Three minutes later Tinryland were dealt what proved to be a mortal blow when a J.J. Smith attempt for a point went in to the net after goalkeeper Trevor O’Reilly had advanced out 10 metres in an attempt to cover an extra Rathvilly attacker who had drifted in to the goalmouth area. To their credit Tinryland did not lie down after this blow and a brilliant Evan Doyle point from an acute angle left only 2 points separating the sides with 20 minutes still left to play.

Glen Doyle was then introduced into the fray and he made an immediate impact which resulted in another Paul Broderick point which left the minimum separating the team’s mid-way through the second half. Rathvilly quickly reacted however and Brian Murphy extended their advantage with another point in the 46th minute. Tinryland then introduced Conor Byrne and John Dwyer into the action but it was Rathvilly who began to show the advantage of the extra man and Garry Dempsey extended their lead out to 3 points with 10 minutes remaining. The Tinryland goal then had a charmed existence as Rathvilly went in search of the killer blow. On two occasions certain goals were saved by corner back John Paul Moore and goalkeeper Trevor O’Reilly as Tinryland made another substitution introducing Ian Scully into the action. Two more wides for Rathvilly followed before they got two more insurance points in the 59th and 61st minutes. Final score Rathvilly 1-11 Tinryland 0-9

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, John Paul Moore, Mark Dempsey, Danny Moran, Padraig Townsend, Shane Redmond, Jeff Sutton, Keith Jackson, Cian Moore 0-1, Cathal O’Toole, Evan Doyle 0-1, Cormac Walshe 0-1, Paul Broderick 0-6, Richard Whyte, Diarmaid Walshe. Subs Matthew O’Toole, Glen Doyle, Conor Byrne, John Dwyer, Ian Scully.