Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Draw Against Palatine in SFL Div 1

posted 21 Apr 2013, 14:27 by
Tinryland 0-8  Palatine 1-5
By Eamonn Byrne

Statistic buffs will have a field day when they analyse this Senior
Football League Division 1 encounter played in Bennekerry on Sunday
21st April. In the opening 15 minutes almost totally dominated by the
men in blue and white, Tinryland squandered nine scoring chances and
the clock had passed the 15th minute before Ian Scully opened the
scoring when he converted a free after being fouled himself. Tinryland
doubled their account a minute later following good work by John Paul
Moore, Conor Byrne and Gary Morrissey who transferred to Mark Dempsey
who slotted the ball between the posts. In the next 10 minutes both
teams were guilty of poor wayward shooting until Pal eventually got on
the scoreboard when Eoin McMahon opened their account with a free. For
the next 4 minutes, Tinryland continued their dominance but were
unrewarded following wides from Robbie Power, Jeff Sutton and Glen
Doyle and it was the home side who edged ahead by half time following
points by the Reid brothers David and Paul. Half time score Palatine
0-3 Tinryland 0-2.
On the resumption, it was all Pal in the opening 5 minutes with
Patrick Cushen slotting over a free within 60 seconds of the throw in
and when Ciaran Moran crashed home a goal in the 37nd minute,
Tinryland appeared to have a mountain to climb. It could have been a
lot worse for the Tinryland in the 35th minute when Palatine were
awarded a penalty but like he has done many times In the past, our
County goalkeeper Trevor O'Reilly made an excellent save from Gavin
Farrell's attempt. Matthew O Toole then replaced Robbie Power before
Jeff Sutton scored TinrylandKs 3rd point in the 37th minute. Palatine
then stretched 5 points clear again in the 41st minute following Paddy
Cushen's excellent free from the sideline but amazingly this was his
sides last score of the game as Tinryland following the introduction
of county players Keith Jackson and Shane Redmond dominated the
closing 15 minutes as they went about closing the 5 point deficit. An
Ian Scully point from a free in the 44th minute was followed by an
excellent Jeff Sutton score following good work by Gary Morrissey and
Keith Jackson. One of the best moves in the game involving Glen Doyle,
Conor Byrne, Shane Redmond and John Paul Moore resulted in another
Scully point in the 55th minute and when substitute Cian Lawlor
pointed with two minutes remaining, Tinryland supporters began to hope
that we would get something out of this game. With time running out,
Tinryland were finally rewarded for their efforts when John Dwyer
slotted over the equalising score seconds before referee Kieran Kelly
sounded the final whistle. Tinryland will be back in action this
coming Wednesday evening with a home game at 8pm against
Tinryland: Trevor O Reilly, Conor Byrne, John Paul Moore, Niall
Barrett, Mark Dempsey 0-1, Cian Moore, Shane O Neill, John Dwyer 0-1
Michael Mullen, Danny Moran, Gary Morrissey, Robbie Power, Jeff Sutton
0-2, Glen Doyle, Ian Scully 0-3. Subs: Matthew O Toole, Cian Lawlor
0-1, Shane Redmond and Keith Jackson.