Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland ease into League semi final with 16 point win over O’Hanrahans

posted 16 Jun 2013, 14:49 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers qualifed for the Carlow S.F.L. Div. 1 semi final for the 3rd consecutive year when they easily overcame the Blues challenge at Rathcrogue on Sunday morning 16th June. After a fairly competitive opening half Tinryland took complete control immediately after the restart and with the O’Hanrahans reduced to 14 men mid way through the 2nd half this game was over as a contest long before referee John Hickey sounded the final whistle. After the reverse to Kilbride early in the week Tinryland started brightly on this occasion scoring 2 points from Shane Redmond and Cathal O’Toole in the opening 10 minutes. Glen Doyle who went on to score 2 goals had a great chance of an early goal in the 7th minute but his effort was deflected for a ’45 by Blues goalkeeper Chris Power. The O’Hanrahans best player Graham Power opened his teams account in the 10th minute before Tinryland’s Cathal O’Toole following good work from Shane O’Neill, John Paul Moore and Glen Doyle slotted over another Tinryland point in the 13th minute. Danny Thompson kept O’Hanrahans in touch with a 15th minute point before a brilliant Shane O’Neill point followed a good move involving Eddie Dowling and Cathal O’Toole. Further Tinryland points from Glen Doyle and Cathal O’Toole stretched the Tinryland lead to 4 points by the 20th minute and the scoreboard read 0-7 to 0-2 by the 25th minute following another Shane O’Neill point following hard grafting by Matthew O’Toole, Cathal O’Toole and Danny Moran. Conor Byrne then replaced the injured Mark Dempsey before Graham Power for O’Hanrahans closed the first half scoring to leave the half time score Tinryland 0-7 O’Hanrahans 0-3

When play resumed Tinryland scored a goal straight from the throw in after midfielder John Dwyer gave a pin point pass to full forward Glen Doyle who made no mistake in crashing home Tinryland’s first goal. Glen then showed his class when he pointed 60 seconds later and when Padraig Delaney slotted over a free in the 33rd minute Tinryland lead by 1-9 to 0-3. The Blues then got a lifeline when wing forward Danny Thompson scored their only goal but Tinryland were not long in replying and a Matthew O’Toole goal from a sideline kick 60 seconds later coupled with points from Cormac Walshe and a Padraig Delaney point from a free and a Glen Doyle goal following hard work from Shane O’Neill left the scoreboard reading 3-11 to 1-3 by the 40th minute. The Blues tried to remain competitive scoring two points via Graham Power in the 42nd and 45th minutes but any chance they had evaporated mid way through the half when corner forward Eddie Davis received a straight red card following a challenge on Tinryland substitute Shane Webb. The final quarter of the game saw Tinryland supplement their advantage with points from Diarmaid Walshe and another goal from Shane O’neill with the blues adding 3 points to their tally before the final whistle. The final stages saw Tinryland add on 3 more points from John Dwyer, Glen Doyle and Matthew O’Toole to leave thefinal score Tinryland 4 15 O’Hanrahans 1-8. The league semi final will take place on Sunday next 23rd June when Old Leighlin are our likely opponents but this will be confirmed after this evenings final series of league matches. Palatine and Rathvilly are the other qualifiers for the semis at this stage. Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Eddie Dowling, Mark Dempsey, Jack Lowry, Danny Moran, Cian Moore, John Paul Moore, Shane Redmond 0-1, John Dwyer 0-1, Cormac Walshe 0-1, Shane O’Neill 1-2, Matthew O’Toole 1-1, Padraig Delaney 0-2, Glen Doyle 2-3, Cathal O’Toole 0-3. Subs Conor Byrne, Diarmaid Walshe 0-1, Shane Webb, David Townsend.