Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland fall short against Palatine in S.F.L. Div 1 semi final replay

posted 5 Jul 2012, 03:21 by
Tinryland fall short against Palatine in S.F.L. Div 1 semi final replay

By Eamonn Byrne

Two days after getting out of jail in the drawn fixture Tinryland senior footballers once again had to play second fiddle to a much determined Pal at Dr Cullen Park on Tuesday 3rd July.

This game was lost in the first half when Palatine dominated Tinryland in almost all sectors of the field. Tinryland found themselves 3 points behind within the opening 7 minutes and it took a Paul Broderick free to open our account in the 8th minute. Evan Doyle then pointed from a free 2 minutes later after a foul on Paul Broderick to leave the minimum between the sides. Pal however upped the ante once again with another point from play before Paul Broderick scored a class point in the 15th minute following good work by Jeff Sutton and Niall Barrett. The pattern of the game was then shaped over the following ten minutes as Palatine tagged on 5 points without reply which was a fair reflection of their dominance. Tinryland had the last score of the opening half when Cormac Walshe  slotted over a point following good work by Richard Whyte and Matthew O’Toole. This left the half time score Palatine 0-9 Tinryland 0-4. The Tinryland backroom team made one change at half time with Cian Lawlor replacing Cian Moore. Evan Doyle narrowed the gap to 4 points when he slotted over a free in the 36th minute and Cian Lawlors wonderful point in the 14th minute left only 3 points separating the sides. The teams then traded points mid way through the second half but 2 Palatine points in the 23rd and 25th minutes left Tinryland once again in arrears by 5 points. It was then that the team finally began to come to life and three unanswered points from Evan Doyle, Paul Broderick and Cormac Walsh left only 2 points separating the sides as the Tinryland supporters began to hope that a miracle was about to take place. It was Pal however who had the last say with a point in the 60th minute and the last chance of a draw disappeared when Palatine placed 12 players in the goalmouth to prevent Paul Broderick scoring a goal from a free. With the final whistle sounding shortly afterwards Palatine advanced to next Sunday’s league final where they will face O’Hanrahans. Tinryland will have to regroup now and prepare for the start of a tough Senior football championship campaign with the opening fixture against Rathvilly on Friday13th July followed by Palatine, Naomh Eoin, Kildavin-Clonegal and Mount Leinster Rangers. It is hoped that injured players like Shane Redmond, Glen Doyle,  and the absent Padraig Townsend and Alan Barrett will be available and that the teams performance will improve considerably if we are to have a successful championship campaign.

Final score Palatine 0-13 Tinryland 0-10

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Conor Byrne, John Paul Moore, Niall Barrett, Danny Moran, Shane O’Neill, Jeff Sutton, Cian Moore, Keith Jackson, Matthew O’Toole, Richard Whyte, John Dwyer, Paul Broderick 0-4, Evan Doyle 0-3, Cormac Walsh 0-2. Subs Cian Lawlor 0-1, Jack Lowry, Cathal O’Toole, Peter Doran.