Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Junior (A) team start their championship campaign on a positive note

posted 8 Aug 2014, 02:59 by
By Eamonn Byrne   

Tinryland Juniors followed in the footsteps of their senior counterparts when they successfully cleared the first hurdle in this year’s Carlow J.F.C. (B) championship against Kildavin-Clonegal at Bro. Leo Park in Tullow on Thursday 7th August. When these teams met in the league final at the end of June little separated them for long periods. With the senior championship up and running both teams were minus a handful of players for this first round game but it was Tinryland who seemed less affected with a 30 plus panel still to choose from.

Kildavin-Clonegal began on a very positive note and within 3 minutes were 4 points ahead following a point from wing forward Martin Boland and a goal in the 3rd minute from midfielder Liam Osbourne. Tinryland’s response was clinical however and by the 4th minute the ball was in the net at the other end following a score of the highest calibre by Dean Farrell after a great build up involving himself, Chris Townsend and Alan Barrett. Kildavin-Clonegal were then dealt an early blow when Liam Osbourne had to retire with a knee injury after 8 minutes and Tinryland were level by the 9th minute when Chris Townsend successfully converted a free. Good work by John Jackson resulted in another Chris Townsend point in the 10th minute but Kildavin-Clonegal were back on level terms 5 minutes later when their hard working corner forward Larry Lennon slotted over a point. This proved to be the Wexford border side’s last score of the half however and Tinryland went on to score 1-6 without reply with the goal coming from the boot of player manager Niall Barrett after a scramble in the KC defence. Points from Niall Barrett and Chris Townsend, Jack Lowry, Dean Farrell and Padraic Whelan left the half time score 2-8 to 1-2 in favour of the men in blue and white. 

Tinryland introduced Kuba Dobosz and Fiaach Byrne into the action at this stage as Alan Barrett extended the lead with a well taken point in the 31st minute. Ian St. ledger and centre back Kevin Moran added points for K-C while at the other end Padraic Whelan, Chris Townsend and Alan Barrett all raised white flags. To their credit Kildavin-Clonegal never gave up and Larry Lennon crashed home their second goal in the 45th minute before Tinryland swiftly replied at the other end with a superb strike from Padraic Whelan following good work by recently introduced sub Gary Scully. Back came Kildavin-Clonegal however and Sean McLoughlin was beaten for the 3rd time with 10 minutes remaining when Peter Swaine scored a 3rd goal for K-C. Tinryland were now ringing the changes from the bench with Patrick Townsend, John Whyte and David O’Shea all being introduced and the fresh legs certainly helped as 3 more points were added without reply before referee Seamie Doyle blew the long whistle. Final score Tinryland 3-16 Kildavin-Clonegal 3-5.

Tinryland who play O’Hanrahans on Thursday next 14th August had outstanding players in Dean Farrell, Padraic Whelan, Niall Barrett, Shane Delaney, Alan Barrett, Alan Kirwan, Gregg Murphy and Chris Townsend.

Team: Sean McLoughlin, Stephen O’Sullivan, Kevin Barrett, Padraig Delaney, John Jackson, Shane Delaney, Eddie Dowling, Gregg Murphy, Alan Kirwan, Dean Farrell 1-2, Niall Barrett 1-1, Padraic Whelan 1-4, Alan Barrett 0-3, Jack Lowry 0-1, Chris Townsend 0-5. Subs: Kuba Dobosz for John Jackson, Fiaach Byrne for Padraig Delaney, Gary Scully for Eddie Dowling, Patrick Townsend for Alan Kirwan, John Whyte for Stephen O’Sullivan, David O’Shea for Gregg Murphy