Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Juniors advance to semi- final of Carlow J.F.C. (B)

posted 11 Sep 2014, 02:33 by

 By Eamonn Byrne                          

Tinryland Juniors gained automatic qualification for the J.F.C. (B) semi- final with a convincing win over St. Andrews at the Fenagh training centre on Wednesday 10th September.

This game was virtually over as a contest as early as the 20th minute when Tinryland led by 3-6 to 0-1.  Dean Farrell, Alan Barrett and Padraig Whelan scored 3 points in the opening 2 minutes and when Alan Barrett rattled the Bagenalstown net in the 4th minute after a superb run from Dean Farrell a one sided contest looked on the cards. By the 7th minute Alan Barrett had repeated the dose scoring his second goal after good play from the returning David Townsend. St Andrews then opened their account in the 9th minute when wing forward Jamie Clarke successfully converted a free but 3 quick points from Chris Townsend (2) and Alan Barrett by the 17th minute left the men in blue and white with a commanding eleven point advantage. This lead was extended out to 14 points by the 19th minute when player manager Niall Barrett celebrated the birth of his new son Oisin with another goal out of the top drawer following more good play from his brother Alan and Davy Townsend.

St Andrews then enjoyed a mini revival scoring three unanswered points via the Clarke brothers Jamie and Shane before another Alan Barrett goal on the stroke of half time following good play from Gregg Murphy, Dean Farrell and David Townsend left the scoreboard reading 4-6 to 0-4 at the interval.

Tinryland had already began to empty the bench at this stage with Jack Lowry and David O’Shea replacing Gary Scully and Kuba Dobosz respectively. It looked like the second half would follow the same pattern as the first when Padraig Whelan added another point to our tally in the 32nd minute but amazingly this was to prove Tinryland’s last score for a full 16 minutes as St Andrew’s upped the ante to try and retrieve something from this game. Points from Shane Clarke in the 34th minute and Edward Doran in the 43rd minute heralded another mini revival for the Bagenalstown men but the Tinryland defence held firm well marshalled by goalie Sean McLoughlin, full back Mark Lawlor and centre back Padraig Delaney. With Alan Kirwan and Garry Fields now introduced into the action Tinryland eventually woke from their mini slumber to score a pair of points in the 50th and 55th minutes with John White entering the fray as a replacement for the hard working Mark Lawlor. The game then petered out to its inevitable conclusion with St. Andrews scoring the final point before referee Brian Deering sounded the full time whistle. Final score Tinryland 4- 10 St Andrews 0-7

Tinryland will now advance to the semi- final and must have a good chance of going further based on this display. Attention will now turn to the seniors who will be hoping to become the 3rd team from the club to reach a Co. semi- final this year when they face Palatine in Dr. Cullen Park on this coming Saturday 13th September at 6.30 p.m.

Tinryland: Sean McLoughlin, Stephen O’Sullivan, Mark Lawlor, Eddie Dowling, Kuba Dobosz, Padraig Delaney captain, Gary Scully, Patrick Townsend, Gregg Murphy, Padraic Whelan 0-2, Niall Barrett 1-0, Dean Farrell 0-1, Alan Barrett 3-4, Chris Townsend 0-3, David Townsend. Subs: Jack Lowry, David O’Shea, Alan Kirwan, Garry Fields, John White.