Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Juniors no match for St. Patrick’s in J.F.C. (A) semi-final

posted 1 Oct 2016, 11:22 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland’s No. 1 junior team made their exit from the championship when they were well beaten in the end by a strong St. Patricks outfit in the semi-final played at Netwatch Cullen Park on Friday 30th September. Tinryland more than matched their opponents for most of the first half and were leading by 4 points to 3 after 18 minutes following a superb Adam Murphy point after good play by his mid field partner John Fleming. The game began with the Tullow men taking an early advantage scoring points in the 3rd and 5th minutes from former Carlow senior player Jack Kennedy. The Slaneysiders squandered a gilt edged goal chance in the 6th minute when full forward Paddy Tobin missed a golden opportunity to raise a green flag. The Tinryland account was opened in the 7th minute with a Ciaran Townsend point following good play by Padraig Delaney and Paul Doyle. Paul Doyle then slotted over a great point in the 10th minute to level matters after excellent play involving Ciaran Townsend and Adam Murphy. The Tinryland goal at the other end led a charmed life at this stage and a brilliant save by goalkeeper Sean McLaughlin plus good defending by Peter Doran, Shane O’Neill and Conor Ryan kept the Tullow men at bay before the men from Bro Leo Park regained the lead with a point from centre forward John Fitzgerald. This player who picked up an injury shortly afterwards was then substituted and his replacement Eoin Doyle made a big impact and was involved in most of the St. Patricks scores from then on. Alan Barrett levelled matters for Tinryland with a 14th minute point and after Adam Murphy’s great point in the 18th minute St. Pats went back in front with a well worked goal by full forward Paddy Tobin after good work by Jack Kennedy and his fellow forward Padraig Murphy. Substitute Eoin Doyle increased the advantage in the 24th minute before Ciaran Townsend won a free which was converted by Ciaran Larkin. The first half ended with Jack Kennedy converting a free for St. Patricks and a great point from David Townsend after good play by Ciaran Townsend. Half Time score St. Patrick’s 1-5 Tinryland 0-6  

The second half began with the Tullow men turning the screw and 3 points from Kennedy, Doyle and Murphy in the opening 12 minutes plus another from midfielder Willie Doran saw the eventual winners leading by 6 points mid-way through the second half. Tinryland had introduced Jack Lowry, Padraig Townsend and Michael Dobosz into the fray at this stage and received a slice of good fortune with 12 minutes remaining when a long punt by David Townsend was fumbled by St.Patricks goalie Jim Bob Tobin and Ciaran Larkin slotted the ball into the net to reduce the margin to 3 points. This was a false dawn for Tinryland however and proved to be their only 2nd half score. In the last quarter Tullow completely began to dominate and another Padraig Murphy point was followed by a  goal from corner forward Eoin O’Toole after a Tinryland kick out was intercepted and a succession of points from Jack Kennedy (2), Eoin Doyle, Padraig Murphy, Lee Kavanagh and Paddy Tobin put the game to bed. Tinryland fans and players were relieved to hear referee David Hickey’s final whistle and St. Patrick’s now advance to meet Eire Og in the Carlow J.F.C. (A) final. Final score St. Patrick’s 2-16 Tinryland 1-6.

Tinryland: Sean McLaughlin, Liam Fitzpatrick, Peter Doran, Conor Ryan, Dermot McGuill, Shane O’Neill, Adam Dunne, Adam Murphy 0-1, John Fleming, David Townsend 0-1, Ciaran Larkin 1-1, Paul Doyle 0-1, Padraig Delaney, Alan Barrett 0-1, Ciaran Townsend 0-1. Subs Jack Lowry, Padraig Townsend, Michael Dobosz, Dean Farrell, Dylan Byrne, John Whyte.