Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland lose by 2 points to Rathvilly in round 2 group game in Carlow S.F.C.

posted 7 Aug 2018, 02:52 by

    By Eamonn Byrne PRO      

                                 Rathvilly 1-7                                 Tinryland 0-8

Tinryland senior footballers were narrowly defeated by last year’s Co. finallists Rathvilly in round 2 of the Michael Lyng Motors Carlow S.F.C. at Netwatch Cullen Park on Saturday 4th August.

The men in blue and white showed 2 changes from the starting 15 in their 1st round victory over Palatine and enjoyed the lions share of possession for much of the first half but found it difficult to turn this into scores. Tinryland led by the minimum after 19 minutes following a 2nd minute Diarmaid Walshe point from a free and another from Danny Moran in the 13th minute following good play by John Paul Moore and Cormac Walshe. The key moment in this defensive encounter arrived after 19 minutes when Rathvilly’s Garry Dempsey scored the only goal of the game against the run of play after a free had been awarded against a Tinryland defender. Tinryland responded with 2 late first half points from the Walshe brothers Cormac and Diarmaid which left the tie all square when referee David Hughes sounded the half time whistle. Half Time score Tinryland 0-4 Rathvilly 1-1.

When the 2nd half began J J Smith edged Rathvilly back in front with a 32nd minute point before Diarmaid Walshe levelled matters once again. Smith from a 45 and Paul Broderick then traded points to leave matters all square entering the final quarter. At this stage Tinryland had been reduced to 14 men following a second yellow card for midfielder Mark Morrissey but Tinryland remained competitive despite the numerical handicap and recently introduced sub Glen Doyle levelled matters once again in response to a previous Rathvilly point from a free by Brian Murphy.

Rathvilly with their extra man were now putting pressure on the Tinryland defence and Murphy edged them ahead with 10 minutes remaining. The Wicklow border team’s advantage then stretched to 2 points before Tinryland rallied with a good point from the returning Conor O’Toole following good play by John Murphy and recently introduced sub Cian Moore. Tinryland then had a number of chances to level matters but their attempts fell short and Rathvilly sealed their win with another Brian Murphy point in stoppage time. Tinryland will now have to overcome Old Leighlin who shipped a heavy defeat to Palatine on Sunday evening if they are to progress to the knockout stages of this year’s Carlow S.F.C. That game is fixed for week ending 26th August.

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, John Paul Moore, John Murphy, Adam Dunne, Rory Doyle, Shane Redmond, Danny Moran 0-1, Peter Hennessy, Mark Morrissey, Cormac Walshe 0-1, Matthew O’Toole, Cian Lawlor, Diarmaid Walshe 0-3, Paul Broderick 0-1, Conor O’Toole 0-1. Subs Glen Doyle 0-1, Cian Moore, Cathal Gaffney, Mark Lawlor.