Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland lose out in Junior (C) championship opener despite whirlwind start

posted 1 Jul 2014, 07:35 by

 By Eamonn Byrne           

Championship favourites Naomh Eoin were given a stern test of their credentials by Tinryland in this preliminary round of the Carlow Junior (C) championship played in ideal conditions at the Carlow training centre in Fenagh on Monday 30th June.

A whirlwind opening half by the men in blue and white saw them leading by 11 points in the 27th minute and it looked as if the game was theirs for the taking as the shell shocked Myshall men failed to score at all until the 20th minute. A succession of points from Gary Scully, John White, Ciaran Townsend (2), Gregg Murphy and David O’Shea helped Tinryland lead by 6 points to nil before Anthony Hogan opened the Naomh Eoin account after 20 minutes. Taking full advantage of the strong breeze Tinryland continued to pile on the pressure and full forward John White extended their advantage 7 minutes before half time when he crashed the ball past Naomh Eoin goalkeeper Seamus Hogan following good play by Gregg Murphy, John Fleming and Conall O’Se.

A great save by Tinryland goalkeeper Sean McLoughlin indicated that Tinryland were going to go on and win and it certainly looked that way when Ciaran Townsend won a penalty which was successfully converted by Fiach Byrne to put Tinryland eleven points clear on the approach to half time.

Naomh Eoin had different ideas however and finally awaking from their slumbers they turned the game on its head in the space of two minutes just before the break. Goals from centre forward Eanna Kavanagh and full forward James Kehoe were the cue for the Naomh Eoin revival and points from Dwayne Kavanagh and Peter Abbey left the scoreboard reading 2-7 to 2-3 when referee Brian Deering sounded the half time whistle.

When the 2nd half began Naomh Eoin quickly set about reducing the Tinryland lead further and only 3 points separated the sides when Anthony Hogan raised a white flag in the 34th minute. The eventual winners then missed a gilt edged goal chance to level matters when James Kehoe was narrowly wide with Tinryland goalie Sean McLoughlin beaten. A Dwayne Kavanagh point for Naomh Eoin was matched by an Alan Kirwan point for Tinryland but Naomh Eoin were gradually getting on top at this stage and sub Conor Foley who had just entered the fray quickly made an impression by scoring two quick points in the space of sixty seconds. Tinryland looked to be weathering the storm however and points from Conall O’Se and Ciaran Townsend extended their lead back out to three points before Naomh Eoin midfielder Dwayne Kavanagh finally got his team back on level terms with a goal out of the top drawer with 10 minutes remaining. It was all Naomh Eoin now and the Myshall team hit the front for the first time when centre forward James Kehoe capped a fine performance by scoring his second goal with nine minutes left on the clock. Anthony Hogan then added an insurance point for the winners before Adam Murphy pointed with 3 minutes remaining to leave one goal separating the sides. Tinryland went in search of that elusive goal in the dying minutes but the Naomh Eoin defence held firm and after John Jackson had missed a gilt edged chance referee Deering sounded the final whistle. Final score Naomh Eoin 4-8  Tinryland 2-11.

Tinryland: Sean McLoughlin, Fiach Byrne 1-0, Mark Lawlor, Eoin Fields, Jack Lowry, Michael Byrne, David O’Shea 0-1, Gregg Murphy 0-1, Alan Kirwan 0-1, John Fleming, Adam Murphy 0-1, Gary Scully 0-1, Conall O’Se 0-2, John White captain 1-1, Ciaran Townsend 0-3. Subs Niall Fitzpatrick, John Jackson.