Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland minors begin 2014 on a winning note

posted 20 Mar 2014, 11:21 by
By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland minors began the 2014 season on a winning note by capturing the league points in a competitive game with Eire Og in Rathcrogue on Wednesday evening 19th March.
As a barometer for the championship season ahead  this game probably wont mean much but what it did show was the strength of the panel as no county minor players were allowed to play on a direction from the Co. board.

With wind advantage in the opening half Tinryland opened the scoring after 60 seconds when Andrew Hanley pointed and by the 14th minute the scoreboard read 1-3 to 0-1 in favour of the boys in blue and white. The Tinryland goal was scored by Killian Maher with Peter Hennessy getting a further point in the 6th minute. Further first half points from Dean Dunne and Peter Hennessy left the half time score reading Tinryland 1-5 Eire Og 0-3

Tinryland extended their lead after 6 minutes of the second half with a point from Ciaran Larkin but a goal from a free by Adam Murphy for the town team reduced the margin to 3 points by the 38th minute. With Michael Dobosz and Eamonn Murphy now introduced Tinryland’s 6 point advantage was restored by the 42nd minute with a goal from Eoin Fields and the lead could have been 9 points by the 45th minute but Dean Dunne saw his shot rebound off the upright with the Eire Og goalie beaten. Both teams were reduced to 14 players by this stage as referee Fitzgerald issued red cards to Mark Lawlor and Kieran Murphy. Eire Og remained competitive scoring a goal and two points between the 46th and 53rd minutes with Ciaran Larkin getting another point for Tinryland. Eire Og then had a second player dismissed and over the closing 5 minutes Tinryland put the game to bed with 6 unanswered points courtesy of Ciaran Larkin, Michael Dobosz, Conall Dunne and Andrew Hanley (3). Final score Tinryland 2-13 Eire Og 2-5 

The minor team are back in action in round 2 of the Division 1 league on Wednesday 26th March away to Palatine at 7 p.m.