Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Minors crown a marvellous season with a league title to add to the championship

posted 27 Oct 2014, 04:31 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland minor footballers made more history in Dr. Cullen Park on Sunday 26th October when they added the minor league title to the championship won 2 weeks earlier. In the replay of the league final against Eire Og the lads in blue and white were never headed after Dean Dunne had opened the scoring with a point in the 7th minute following good play by Niall Lowry and Peter Hennessy. Eire Og got back on level terms 2 minutes later when wing back Lee Nolan raised a white flag but this was as good as it got for the Carlow town team as a very disciplined Tinryland kept them at bay and gradually turned the screw at the other end to lead at half time by 0-7 to 02. Two James McGrath points in the 10th and 11th minutes were the catalyst for Tinryland to kick on and when Niall Lowry landed a ’45 mid way through the first half Tinryland confidence grew. With the midfield pairing of Mark Lawlor and Peter Hennessy giving the forwards plenty of possession Tinryland added two further points to their first half tally via Andrew Hanley and another successful ’45 from Lowry before Eire Og closed the first half scoring with a point from centre forward Dylan Salter on the stroke of the half time whistle. That first half saw the Tinryland defence turn in a very disciplined performance with all six defenders Dylan Reamsbottom, John Murphy, Fionnan Burke, Ciaran Larkin, Cathal Gaffney and the returning Adam Dunne all coolness personified and giving great protection to their outstanding goalkeeper Ciaran Byrne who dealt confidently with any balls that came his way. Half time score Tinryland 0-7 Eire Og 0-2.The second half began in similar fashion to the drawn game when Eire Og scored a point by Lee Nolan within seconds of the restart and the sizeable crowd present must have expected an Eire Og revival in similar fashion to the last day when they quickly reduced a 6 point defecit early in the 2nd half. Tinryland had other ideas however and great play by Fionnan Burke and team captain Conor O’Toole resulted in a James McGrath point in the 33rd minute which set the ball rolling for a wonderful second half display by the new Co. champions. In the 38th minute Conall O’Se who was lively throughout increased the lead to 6 points following good play by Fionnan Burke, James McGrath and Cathal Gaffney. Things got increasingly better then with two wonderful points from James McGrath and Andrew Hanley as Tinryland increased the midfield dominance through Lawlor and Hennessy. A Conall O’Se point in the 43rd minute was followed by a point on the run from Andrew Hanley who was now matching his excellent performance in the Co. final against Palatine. Reece Denieffe then clawed one point back for Eire Og but up stepped Niall Lowry again to maintain his almost 100% record from long range frees to leave the scoreboard reading 0-14 to 0-5 mid way through the second half. It was all Tinryland now as Tinryland made their first substitution introducing Conall Dunne for his mamesake Dean who had put in a tremendous shift for the 50 minutes he spent on the field. The icing was then quickly applied to the cake when in the space of 30 seconds Tinryland rattled the Eire Og net twice with top drawer goals from James McGrath and Conall Dunne.McGrath’s goal followed an exceptional pass from centre back Cathal Gaffney while Conall Dunne showed the advantage of fresh legs to seal the victory with Tinryland’s second goal with 9 minutes remaining. Tinryland then introduced Adam Murphy, Sean Kirwan, Conor McGrath, Killian Maher and John Fleming into the fray which proved the strength of this outstanding panel who all have a bright future in the game. The game then was done and dusted but for good measure Tinryland added on 3 further points via Conall O’Se, James McGrath and Conall Dunne as Eire Og completely lost their shape and discipline picking up two red cards in the closing minutes before referee John Hickey sounded the long whistle which heralded more celebrations in Dr Cullen park from the sizeable Tinryland crowd. Final score Tinryland 2-17 Eire Og 0-7. Team: Ciaran Byrne, Dylan Reamsbottom, John Murphy, Fionnan Burke, Ciaran Larkin, Cathal Gaffney, Adam Dunne, Mark Lawlor 0-1, Peter Hennessy, Conor O’Toole, Niall Lowry 0-3, Andrew Hanley 0-3, Conall O’Se 0-3, James McGrath 1-5, Dean Dunne 0-1. Subs: Conall Dunne 1-1, Sean Kirwan, Adam Murphy, Conor McGrath, Killian Maher, John Fleming.