Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland minors defeat Palatine and qualify for league final

posted 5 May 2015, 11:46 by

By Eamonn Byrne                        

Tinryland the defending minor league and championship winners qualified for another league final with a comfortable victory over Palatine in Bennekerry on May bank holiday Monday.

Having lost their unbeaten record with a flat performance 8 days earlier in Rathvilly Tinryland despite fielding without the injured Niall Lowry looked impressive once again.

3 early points from Conall Dunne, the returning James McGrath and Peter Hennessy from a ’45 settled the boys in blue and white before Pal opened their account with a point from a free by Shane O’Neill in the 6th minute. The defence was doing very well at this stage with John Murphy, Cathal Gaffney, and Rory Doyle  turning over plenty of ball and delivering it quickly into the on song forward line that included Bradleigh Nolan who normally plays as a defender. At midfield Conor McGrath and Peter Hennessy were also on their game. Two successive points in the 8th and 9th from the impressive Ciaran Larkin extended the lead further before the home team doubled their account with a point from Cian Fitzpatrick following good play by Conor O’Doherty. The first goal of the game then arrived when Tinryland centre back Cathal Gaffney won possession and quickly delivered to Ciaran Larkin who duly despatched the ball to the Palatine net. It was all Tinryland at this stage and the remainder of the first half saw Conall Dunne, Killian Maher, James McGrath and Maher again all score delightful points following excellent play by the likes of John Murphy, Dylan Reamsbottom, Conor Ryan, Conor McGrath, Ciaran Larkin and Adam Mullen. Seamus Curran then replaced the injured Rory Doyle as half time approached. Half time score Tinryland 1-9 Palatine 0-2.

The second half was 7 minutes old before Tinryland scored again when Killian Maher pointed after possession was won by the returning Fionnan Burke. Palatine added their 3rd point 60 seconds later when Shane O’Neill pointed after good play by Adam Duggan and Cian Fitzpatrick. A brilliant individual point from Tinryland midfielder Conor McGrath who ran 40 metres after winning possession extended the Tinryland lead to eleven points before Palatine got their first goal in the 46th minute when substitute Olan Duff took advantage of a mix up in the Tinryland defence to leave the scoreboard reading 1-11 to 1-3 in Tinryland’s favour with 14 minutes remaining. It got even better for the home side 2 minutes later when Conor O’Doherty beat 3 Tinryland defenders before planting the ball in the Tinryland net past Ciaran Byrne and suddenly it was not comfortable any more for Tinryland who had been in cruise mode for a long stretch. Waking up from their slumber Tinryland quickly tagged on 2 further points in the 55th and 58th minutes via James McGrath and Conall Dunne the latter score set up by Dylan Reamsbottom who ran 80 metres before laying the ball off.

All in all this was a satisfactory performance from Tinryland who will now face old rivals Eire Og in the league final on a date to be confirmed. Tinryland used their full complement of subs in this game with Keelan Gaffney, Dean Dunne, Sean Regan, Tommy Dunne and Cuan Burke all making an entrance in the 2nd half. Full time score Tinryland 1-13 Palatine 2-3.

Team: Ciaran Byrne, Dylan Reamsbottom, John Murphy, Conor Ryan, Fionnan Burke, Cathal Gaffney, Rory Doyle, Peter Hennessy 0-1, Conor McGrath 0-1, Bradleigh Nolan, Adam Mullen, James McGrath 0-3, Conall Dunne 0-3, Killian Maher 0-3, Ciaran Larkin 1-2. Subs used Seamus Curran, Keelan Gaffney, Sean Regan, Dean Dunne, Tommy Dunne, Cuan Burke.