Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Minors lose their unbeaten record away to Rathvilly

posted 28 Apr 2015, 11:07 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland minors lost their unbeaten record when they were comfortably defeated by Rathvilly at Fr. Ryan Park in Rathvilly on Sunday 26th April. The current McKelvie Cup holders and league champions never got out of first gear in this game despite opening the scoring in the first minute when Niall Lowry converted a free for a foul on Dean Dunne. Rathvilly quickly levelled matters when Conor Owens converted a free for the Wicklow border team as Tinryland were dealt an early blow with Dylan Reamsbottom leaving the field after picking up an injury. Tinryland remained competitive at this stage and Adam Mullen was unlucky to see his deflection of Niall Lowry’s 45 rebound off the post with the Rathvilly ‘keeper beaten. Over the next 10 minutes it was the home side that dominated scoring 4 unanswered points from 3 frees by Conor Owens and a point from play by Darragh Murphy. Tinryland eventually scored their second point in the 22nd minute when Niall Lowry slotted over following a good pass from Rory Doyle but this was to prove the last score of the half for the boys in blue and white as Rathvilly tagged on 2 further points from Darragh Murphy and Eoin O’Connor-Byrne to leave the scoreboard reading 0-7 to 0-2 in Rathvillys favour at half time.

When Milford ref Kevin P O’Neill resumed play Tinryland had introduced Tommy Dunne and Sean Regan into the fray but it was the home side that resumed where they had left off scoring a goal from Dean Cassells in the 32nd minute to extend their advantage to 8 points. It got even better for last year’s minor semi-finallists when O’Connor-Byrne pointed 60 seconds later before Niall Lowry converted a free for Tinryland. Another Owens point for Rathvilly gave a tired Tinryland a mountain to climb before Tinryland were dealt another major blow as Niall Lowry was black carded with 20 minutes remaining. Dylan Reamsbottom then re-entered play despite his injury discomfort as Conor Owens converted another free for the home side. Tinryland then threw caution to the wind and in a 10 minute spell played their best football of the game. This spell yielded 4 unanswered points from Peter Hennessy (2), and Conall Dunne (2) to leave 6 points separating the teams with 5 minutes remaining. Rathvilly had the final say however and a goal from sub Martin Cole in the 59th minute put the icing on the cake for a team who are likely to have a big say in Carlow competitions this year.

Final score Rathvilly 2-10 Tinryland 0-7.

Team: Ciaran Byrne, Conor Ryan, John Murphy, Bradleigh Nolan, Dylan Reamsbottom, Cathal Gaffney, Rory Doyle, Peter Hennessy 0-2, Niall Lowry 0-3, Conor McGrath, Adam Mullen, Ciaran Larkin, Dean Dunne, Killian Maher, Conall Dunne 0-2. Subs Tommy Dunne, Sean Regan.