Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Minors maintain their momentum with another comfortable victory

posted 16 Sep 2014, 07:26 by

 By Eamonn Byrne         

Tinryland minor footballers chalked up another easy win in this year’s championship against Palatine on Monday 15th September in Rathcrogue. This victory ensures that Tinryland will top the league stage of the competition for the McKelvie cup and probably means that Palatine will also be our opponents in the semi-final at the end of September. The result of this match was never really in doubt as early as the 12th minute when the home side raced into a ten point lead following brilliantly executed goals from Dean Dunne in the 6th minute and Conall O’Se 5 minutes later. Dunne and O’Se also helped themselves to a pair of points each during that period after Conall Dunne and Peter Hennessy had set the ball rolling with opening points within 2 minutes of the throw in.

Cian Fitzpatrick the Palatine full forward opened his sides account in the 14th minute when he successfully converted a free but the next 5 points were all scored by the boys in blue and white as they totally dominated in most areas of the field. Excellent play by O’Se who helped himself to 1-6 in total and wing forward Ciaran Larkin left the scoreboard reading 2-9 to 0-2 when referee Jim Lawlor blew the half time whistle. Palatine’s only other point in that opening half was scored by wing forward Brian O’Mahoney in the 28th minute.

When play resumed Tinryland rang the changes from the bench introducing James McGrath, Andrew Hanley, John Fleming, Adam Murphy and Bradleigh Nolan into battle. With the subs eager for action Tinryland’s momentum was maintained and within 5 minutes of the restart the lead was extended to 19 points following a great goal from Adam Murphy and points from Andrew Hanley and Conall O’Se.  Palatine then enjoyed a brief period of dominance scoring points in the 38th and 40th minutes via corner forward Ricky Nolan before normal service resumed for the home side who scored 3 points in a 3 minute period from Conall O’Se, Bradleigh Nolan and Andrew Hanley.

Killian Maher was introduced from the bench at this stage as Shane O’Neill for Palatine and John Fleming for Tinryland traded points with 10 minutes remaining.

Tinryland’s last point of the game was scored by Mark Lawlor who was excellent throughout as Palatine added on 2 consolation points from their best player Shane O’Neill before the long whistle was sounded. Tinryland’s victory in this game was once again built on a rock solid defence led by netminder Ciaran Byrne who was brilliantly supported by Dylan Reamsbottom, John Murphy and Dermot McGuill. The half back line of Conor McGrath, Cathal Gaffney and Fionnan Burke combined very well with mid fielders Peter Hennessy and Niall Lowry. Up front Conall O’Se who notched 1-6 was well supported by Conor O’Toole, Conall Dunne, Ciaran Larkin, Mark Lawlor and Dean Dunne while all the subs introduced also played their part in this comfortable win. Final score Tinryland 3-17 Palatine 0-7.

Tinryland: Ciaran Byrne, Dylan Reamsbottom, John Murphy, Dermot McGuill, Conor McGrath, Cathal Gaffney, Fionnan Burke, Peter Hennessy 0-1, Niall Lowry 0-1, Conor O’Toole, Conall Dunne 0-1, Ciaran Larkin 0-2, Conall O’Se 1-6, Mark Lawlor 0-1, Dean Dunne 1-1. Subs: James McGrath, Andrew Hanley 0-2, John Fleming 0-1, Adam Murphy 1-0, Bradleigh Nolan 0-1, Killian Maher.