Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Minors overcome Fenagh in a game of two halves

posted 28 Jul 2015, 09:17 by

 By Eamonn Byrne                       

The old saying when describing many games that it was a game of 2 halves can certainly be applied to this M.F.C. 3rd round fixture played in Rathcrogue on Monday 27th July. On an evening more like one from late autumn or early winter, Tinryland with a strong wind in their backs were totally dominant in the first half and the game looked to be well over as a contest long before referee Seamus Doyle sounded the half time whistle. The home side raced into an early lead with a pair of points from dead balls scored by Niall Lowry in the opening six minutes followed by another point from Dean Dunne and another Niall Lowry conversion in the 9th minute. When Adam Mullen raised a green flag in the 10th minute Tinryland were already 7 points ahead and there appeared to be no comeback from the Fenagh boys as the Tinryland defence completely snuffed out any threat on the rare occasions that they advanced forward.  By the 20th minute Tinryland had stretched into a 13 point advantage with further white flags being raised by Peter Hennessy, Conor McGrath, Niall Lowry, Killian Maher and Ciaran Larkin (2). Maher added another point in the 22nd minute to add to the Tinryland lead. Six minutes before the break Fenagh finally got on the scoresheet when their lively no. 7 Billy Nolan converted a free but this score was quickly matched by a Cormac Kelly point for Tinryland after good play by Tinryland full back Conor Ryan. Fenagh however were beginning to find their feet at last and when corner forward Eoin McDonough pointed in the 29th minute you could see the confidence levels rising and it took a wonderful Ciaran Byrne save in the 30th minute to deny the Fenagh boys a goal that would really have given them a platform for the second half with the wind strength rising. The closing act of the 2nd half saw Tinryland midfielder Peter Hennessy slot over another point to leave the half time score Tinryland 1-13 Fenagh 0-2. 

When play resumed Fenagh with the strong wind in their back quickly began to try and reduce the 14 point defecit and after a wide was registered in the 32nd minute Billy Nolan opened their second half account one minute later and this was quickly followed by another scored by their influential centre forward Dylan Bradley. Ciaran Byrne was then called upon again to make another fine save but it was all Fenagh now and Billy Nolan scored another point in the 37th minute to reduce Tinryland’s lead to 12 points. Lee Kane then replaced Ciaran Larkin for Tinryland as Sean O’Rourke and Mark Treacy added two further points to the Fenagh tally. Tinryland continued to empty the bench with Seamus Curran and Sean Regan entering the fray but Fenagh continued to pressurise the Tinryland rearguard and another Billy Nolan point reduced the margin to 9 points with 14 minutes remaining. Niall Lowry eventually stemmed the flow when he converted a free with 12 minutes remaining but this score was to prove the only one for Tinryland in the 2nd half as Fenagh continued to press. Rory Dunbar was then introduced for Tinryland as Fenagh with time running out added on 4 further points via Billy Nolan (2) Dylan Bradley and Aidan Hynes to leave the final score Tinryland 1-14 Fenagh 0-11. The minors will be back in action on Monday next away to Mount Leinster Rangers in Borris at 7.30 p.m. Outstanding for Tinryland were goalie Ciaran Byrne together with Conor Ryan, Cuan Burke, Niall Lowry, Fionnan Burke, Rory Doyle, Peter Hennessy, Killian Maher and Cormac Kelly. Fenagh had outstanding players in Billy Nolan, Jack Rowan, Aidan Hynes, Sean Brennan, Dylan Bradley and Mark Treacy.

Team: Ciaran Byrne, Dylan Byrne, Conor Ryan, Bradleigh Nolan, Cuan Burke, Fionnan Burke, Rory Doyle, Peter Hennessy 0-2, Niall Lowry 0-5, Conor Mcgrath 0-1, Ciaran Larkin 0-2, Cormac Kelly 0-1, Killian Maher 0-2, Adam Mullen 1-0, Dean Dunne 0-1. Subs: Lee Kane, Seamus Curran, Sean Regan, Rory Dunbar.