Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland one step away from first Carlow M.F.C. Title for the club after thrilling win

posted 28 Sep 2014, 03:52 by
By Eamonn Byrne
Tinryland minors are one step away from an historical 1st Carlow M.F.C. title following a thrilling 1 point victory over a gallant Rathvilly team at Dr. Cullen Park on Saturday 27th September.

On a day tinged with sadness following the news before throw in of the passing of our club colleague John Scott the minors put in a performance that John would have approved of against a gritty Rathvilly outfit that refused to be beaten.  In one of the best minor games seen at D.C.P for a long time the Wicklow border side were first to settle but it took 7 minutes for the first score to arrive when their corner forward Jack McMillan raised a white flag at the Deerpark end of the ground.

This score seemed to settle Tinryland into action and the next 6 points were all scored by the boys in blue and white via Conall O’Se (2), Conall Dunne, Niall Lowry, James McGrath and a brilliant long distance beauty from midfielder Peter Hennessy. Rathvilly midfielder Ger Kavanagh then chipped in with a beauty at the other end but with James McGrath slotting over 2 quick points in succession Tinryland had stretched clear by 6 points by the 20th minute.

Rathvilly refused to yield however and two quick points in the 21st minute from Aaron Smith and Ger Kavanagh edged them closer as the Tinryland defence led by John Murphy at full back and Cathal Gaffney at no. 6, Fionnan Burke and Ciaran Larkin up front stemmed the ever increasing flow of the tide. Entering the closing minutes of the first half Tinryland were presented with a gilt edged goal chance but Mark Lawlor somehow hesitated in pulling the trigger and Rathvilly survived but not for long. Lawlor quickly made amends when he deflected a Conall Dunne delivery to the net which extended the Tinryland lead to 7 points 2 minutes before the break. Back came Rathvilly however and within 60 seconds Rathvilly full forward Martin Cole put the ball in the Tinryland net following good play from Ger Kavanagh, Aaron Smith, Conor Owens and Darren Murphy. Half time score Tinryland 1-8 Rathvilly 1-4.

The half time interval saw Tinryland introduce Dean Dunne and Conor McGrath into battlefor Andrew hanley and Conall O’Se but it was Rathvilly who immediately went on the attack and within 2 minutes matters were all square following a goal from Conor Owens and a point from wing forward Aaron Smith. Tinryland were not defending well at this stage but they managed to survive another Rathvilly onslaught which could only produce a wide and breaking upfield Conor McGrath offloaded to Cathal Gaffney before Dean Dunne restored the Tinryland lead in the 35th minute. One minute later James McGrath extended this lead following good interplay between Niall Lowry, Conor O’Toole and himself.

With Adam Murphy now introduced into the play Tinryland began to improve their possession around the centre but it took another 12 minutes for the next score to arrive. Tinryland did create a number of goal chances during this period but somehow the ball stayed out of the Rathvilly and with less than 10 minutes remaining only 2 points still separated the sides in a pulsating contest.

Rathvilly player Martin Cole then received a black card but they had a chance to reduce the margin only for the ball to hit the post from a free. More brilliant defending from John Murphy and Dylan Reamsbottom kept Rathvilly at bay once again and the scoring famine was eventually ended when Niall Lowry extended the Tinryland lead with a point following good play by Conor McGrath, Adam Murphy and James McGrath. Tinryland looked to be the fitter side at this stage and Niall Lowry repeated the dose when he pointed with 7 minutes left. More good work by Adam Murphy, and Peter Hennessy saw Tinryland up the ante and after another free was awarded Niall Lowry extended the lead to 5 points with 5 minutes left. John Fleming then replaced Bradleigh Nolan for Tinryland and the lead was extended to 6 points when another free was successfully converted by Niall Lowry. It looked curtains for Rathvilly at this stage but amazingly this intriguing game took another twist when Rathvilly put the cat among the pigeons with a goal in the final minute of normal time scored by Colin Byrne following good play by Michael Kelly and Brian Smith. Another Rathvilly point by Darren Murphy reduced the margin to 2 points and Rathvilly were not finished yet as a further point from Colin Byrne left only the minimum separating the sides. Tinryland supporters were on edge at this stage and when referee Billy Fanning finally blew the long whistle there was relief all round that we had qualified for another Co. minor final.

In the following game many peoples favourites Eire Og were defeated by a determined Palatine side and the battle for the Pat McKelvie cup on Sunday 12th October will be a repeat of the 2009 Co. final when our parish neighbours came out on top by 5 points.

Final score Tinryland 1-14 Rathvilly 3-7    

Team: Ciaran Byrne, Bradleigh Nolan, John Murphy, Dylan Reamsbottom, Conor O’Toole, Cathal Gaffney, Fionnan Burke, Niall Lowry 0-5, Peter Hennessy 0-1, Ciaran Larkin, Andrew Hanley, James McGrath 0-4, Conall O’Se 0-2, Mark Lawlor 1-0, Conall Dunne 0-1. Subs: Dean Dunne 0-1, Conor McGrath, Adam Murphy, John Fleming.