Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland progress to Carlow J.F.C. B semi- final after exciting victory over Old Leighlin in replay

posted 24 Sep 2015, 09:00 by

By Eamonn Byrne

At the second attempt Tinryland progressed to meet Asca in the J.F.C. B semi-final when they defeated a lively Old Leighlin outfit in a very entertaining quarter final replay at the Netwatch Training centre on Wednesday 23rd September. In contrast to the drawn game one week previousely there was never more than two points separating the sides at any stage in this game watched by a good crowd. Tinryland made a positive start within 60 seconds when Padraic Whelan won a free and converted it himself and by the second minute Tinryland were 2 points ahead after a brilliant point from full forward Owan O’Gorman after great play by Adam Murphy and Garry Fields. Declan Gough opened the Old Leighlin scoring with a point in the 5th minute but Tinryland edged two clear once again when David Townsend slotted over a nice point after great work from midfielder Adam Murphy and full back John Murphy. John Ryan for Old Leighlin and Padraic Whelan then traded points before Old Leighlin levelled matters at the half way stage of the opening half following points from Ryan and corner forward Gearroid Foley. Tinryland introduced minor player Rory Doyle into the action at this stage and two quick points from Owan O’Gorman and Padraic Whelan (free) restored Tinryland’s two point advantage. Owan O’Gormans point was the result of good play by Peter Doran who was excellent throughout and David Townsend who also turned in a great shift on the night. Tinryland looked to be moving well at this stage but we were dealt a blow against the run of play when Old Leighlin somehow managed to deflect the ball past Colm Nolan after a scramble in the Tinryland square. Tinryland’s response was swift however and David Townsend converted a magnificent free from the sideline after a foul on Dean Farrell. Adam Dunne who also played well then edged Tinryland ahead once again when he pointed following good play by John Murphy, Killian Maher and Gregg Murphy. Half time score Tinryland 0-8 Old Leighlin 1-4. When Pat Kehoe restarted proceedings it was Old Leighlin that were quickest out of the traps scoring a point via Irish International boxer Roy Sheehy. Rory Doyle who made an impact when introduced in the first half opened Tinryland’s 2nd half account when his long ball hopped over the bar. Tinryland were moving well once again at this stage and Padraig Townsend who was only seconds on the field having sat out the first half due to a chest infection increased the lead and when Padraig Delaney slotted over another point in the 40th minute Tinryland looked as if they would pull clear. Another great catch from Peter Doran gave Tinryland further hope at this stage but it was Old Leighlin that remained in contact with a Declan Gough point. This score sparked a quick reply from Tinryland when Owan O’Gorman scored his third point of the night but the men from Molaise Park just would not lie down and they burst through the Tinryland defence in the 43rd minute to rattle the net once again to leave matters all square entering the final quarter. A Gearroid Foley point edged Old Leighlin ahead for the 2nd time in this game but after another Tinryland attack a penalty was awarded at the other end which was duly converted by Padraic Whelan to restore Tinryland’s two point advantage. Unfortunately Tinryland then lost Dean Farrell to a black card after some verbals with the referee and he was replaced by his brother Brian who was quickly involved in the action as he laid off a nice ball for Owan O’Gorman to notch his 4th point of the evening. With Gary Scully replacing Killian Maher who had put in a good evenings work it was Old Leighlin via Gearroid Foley who reduced the margin to 2 once again before Padraig Townsend settled the Tinryland ship with our final point following more good play by his cousin David Townsend. The final point of the game was scored by the gritty Old Leighlin men in the 61st minute before referee Kehoe brought proceedings to a close with Tinryland advancing to the semi-final on a scoreline of 1-14 to 2-9.

Tinryland: Colm Nolan, Adam Dunne 0-1, John Murphy, Sean Kirwan, Killian Maher, Peter Doran, Eoin Fields, Adam Murphy, Gregg Murphy, Gary Fields, Padraig Delaney 0-1, Dean Farrell, Padraic Whelan 1-3, Owan O’Gorman 0-4, David Townsend 0-2. Subs: Rory Doyle 0-1, Padraig Townsend 0-2, Brian Farrell, Gary Scully.