Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland’s championship hopes evaporate with second successive defeat in S.F.C.

posted 11 Aug 2015, 05:25 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballer’s championship hopes for 2015 evaporated at Netwatch Cullen Park on Sunday evening when they lost out to a determined Kildavin-Clonegal in round 2 of the Michael Lyng motors Carlow S.F.C.

Having already been defeated by Mount Leinster Rangers in the 1st round Tinryland needed a victory here to keep their championship hopes on track. It all began so well for the men in blue and white when midfielder John Dwyer won the throw in and burst through the Kildavin defence to score the opening point within 15 seconds. In the 4th minute Tinryland extended the advantage with a wonderful Mark Lawlor point after good play by Cormac Walshe, Conor Byrne and Cathal O’Toole.

Kildavin-Cl;onegal then opened their account with a point from their Co. man Dan St. Ledger and the same player levelled matters in the 7th minute after the ball was given away. St Ledger then had a number of failed attempts to put his side in front while at the other end Niall Lowry was wide with a free. Strong Kildavin-Clonegal pressure in the 13th minute yielded a point from St Ledger who then missed another free to extend the Wexford border team’s advantage. The sides were tied at 3 points each in the 17th minute when Diarmaid Walshe converted a free as Kildavin’s Mark Nolan was shown a black card for a foul on Cian Lawlor. Tinryland then went a point ahead with a great Diarmaid Walshe point from play. It could have been even better for the hoops around this time but two gilt edged goal scoring chances were squandered before Cian Lawlor put the ball over the bar to extend our lead back out to two points. We should have been further clear shortly afterwards but another free was sent wide while at the other end a free was conceded by John Dwyer which was punished once again when St Ledger converted to make it a one point game with 3 minutes remaining in the half. The pendulum then swung in Kildavin’s favour when corner forward Daniel Murphy levelled matters in the 29th minute before Dan St. Ledger regained the lead for his team on the stroke of half time. Half time score Kildavin-Clonegal 0-6 Tinryland 0-5.

When the teams emerged for the 2nd half Ciaran Larkin and Evan Doyle had been introduced into the action and within 30 seconds matters were all square once again when Diarmaid Walshe successfully converted a free. Cormac Walshe then regained the advantage for Tinryland with a great point before that man St. Ledger levelled matters for the 5th time with another successful free kick. Cian Lawlor then attacked the Kildavin defence at speed but Diarmaid Walshe was wide with his attempt as John Paul Moore was introduced for Matthew O’Toole. John Paul was only on the field for 4 minutes when his hamstring went again and he was replaced by Conor McGrath. The killer blow was then dealt to Tinryland when possession was lost and a defensive error allowed Dan St. Ledger crash the ball past Trevor O’Reilly to put his side 3 clear with 20 minutes remaining. St. Ledger then added a point to extend Kildavin’s lead to 4 points before Diarmaid Walshe made it a 3 point game when he converted a free won by himself. Cian Moore and Richie Whyte were then introduced for Glen Doyle and Cathal O’Toole as the scoring machine Dan St. Ledger slotted over another point from a free and when he repeated the dose in the 47th minute the signs were bad for Tinryland with 5 points now separating the teams. With Tinryland getting no change at midfield sub Richie White reduced matters to 4 points when he pointed with 8 minutes remaining and there were only 3 points separating the sides by the 54th minute when Diarmaid slotted over a free won by Cian Moore.

St Ledger then scored another point to bring his personal tally to 1-10 before Diarmaid Walshe with another free kick left only a goal between the sides entering stoppage time. Kildavin-Clonegal then decided to maintain possession in an attempt to protect their lead and they scored the insurance point deep into stoppage time when their full back Donal Hickey advanced forward to raise a white flag. Shortly afterwards referee David Hughes sounded the long whistle and Tinryland were out of the championship and now face a relegation battle against the bottom team in group 2 which is odds on to be Ballinabranna at this stage.  Final score Tinryland 0-11 Kildavin-Clonegal 1-12

Team: Trevor O’Reilly, Matthew O’Toole, Mark Dempsey, Conor O’Toole, Danny Moran, Conor Byrne, Cian Lawlor 0-1, Glen Doyle, John Dwyer 0-1, Niall Lowry, Cormac Walshe 0-1, Cathal O’Toole, Diarmaid Walshe 0-6 5 frees, Mark Lawlor 0-1, Andrew Hanley. Subs Evan Doyle, Ciaran Larkin, John Paul Moore, Conor McGrath, Cian Moore, Richie Whyte 0-1