Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Seniors back to winning ways in Round 5 of SFL Division 1

posted 26 Apr 2016, 10:48 by
By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland Senior footballers got back to winning ways in the senior football league with a comfortable six point win over Mount Leinster Rangers at Rathcrogue on Monday 25th April.
With a youthful team comprising 9 of last year’s U21 championship winning side the home team were swiftest out of the blocks scoring a point within 30 seconds of the throw in by Glen Doyle after good inter play involving Diarmaid Walshe, Niall Lowry and Cormac Walshe. A superb Diarmaid Walshe point 2 minutes later was the result of a great tackle by John Murphy who was making his senior debut in this game. Tinryland were then dealt a major blow when corner forward Ciaran Larkin picked up a serious looking knee injury and after a long delay he left the field on a stretcher. Padraic Whelan replaced Ciaran but it was Tinryland who increased the advantage with another Diarmaid Walshe beauty after great play by Glen Doyle and Cathal Gaffney. Rangers who were playing a possession game at this stage against the strong wind got on the scoresheet in the 11th minute when wing forward Jack Murphy raised a white flag and despite owning the ball at times it was Tinryland that increased their lead with another Diarmaid Walshe point in the 17th minute. Rangers then enjoyed a productive period scoring 3 points in a 9 minute spell via Eddie Byrne, Paul Coady and Ted Joyce with Diarmaid Walshe closing the 1st half account with a brilliantly struck free. Rangers then lost their centre back Brian Nolan to a hamstring injury and he was replaced by Seamus Kelly.
Half time score Tinryland 0-5 Mount Leinster Rangers 0-4.
The second half began with John Paul Moore replacing Mark Dempsey (toe injury) in the Tinryland defence and within one minute the sides were tied at 5 points apiece when Jack Murphy successfully converted a free. Tinryland regained the advantage in the 33rd minute when wing back Cathal Gaffney advanced forward to slot over a great point after good play by Padraic Whelan, Conor McGrath and Matthew O’Toole.
John Murphy who was impressive on his debut won a free in the 36th minute and Diarmaid again did the honours as 2 more U21s Mark Lawlor and Shane Webb were introduced into the fray. Rangers made it a one point game in the 44th minute when Chris Nolan slotted over a point but this was to prove their final score as Tinryland upped the ante in a big way over the final quarter. A fine point by John Paul Moore after sustained Tinryland pressure was followed by a Mark Lawlor beauty which left 3 points separating the teams with 12 minutes remaining.
Rangers introduced Shane O’Neill and Michael Malone into the action but at this stage Tinryland were gradually turning the screw. Conor McGrath increased the advantage to 4 points in the 56th minute and when Shane Webb slotted over another point with 3 minutes remaining the points were in the bag for the men in blue and white hoops. The final act of the game was another well worked point scored by Conor McGrath which rounded off a very satisfactory evening’s work and gave everyone associated with the team a big lift.
Tinryland are back in action on next Sunday evening away to high flying Eire Og in Pairc Ui Bhrian at 7 p.m.
Final score Tinryland 0-12 Mount Leinster Rangers 0-6.
Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Cian Lawlor, John Murphy, Mark Dempsey, Conor McGrath 0-2, Shane Redmond, Cathal Gaffney, Peter Hennessy, Glen Doyle, Conor O’Toole, Niall Lowry, Matthew O’Toole, Ciaran Larkin, Cormac Walshe, Diarmaid Walshe 0-5 1F. Subs Padraic Whelan, John Paul Moore 0-1, Shane Webb 0-1, Mark Lawlor 0-1.
Mount Leinster Rangers: Thomas Brennan, Padraig Bambrick, Padraig Nolan, M.J. Doran, John Coady, Brian Nolan, Seamus Kelly, Eddie Byrne 0-1F, Conor Fenlon, Jack Murphy 0-2 1F, Paul Coady 0-1, Willie Hickey, Dean Grennan, Ted Joyce 0-1, Chris Nolan 0-1. Subs: Shane O’Neill, Michael Malone.