Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Seniors begin 2016 on a winning note

posted 28 Mar 2016, 02:44 by

By Eamonn Byrne                      

Tinryland senior footballers began the new season on a winning note with a very comfortable victory over Kildavin-Clonegal in the S.F.L. Division 1 at Rathcrogue on Easter Sunday 27th March. When these sides last met in the S.F.C. on 11th August 2015 Kildavin-Clonegal emerged victorious by 2 points with Daniel St. Ledger accounting for 1-10 of his sides 1-12 winning total. St Ledger has since joined Dublin club St. Sylvesters and his absence was very apparent on Sunday as the Wexford border side could only register a total of 2 points from play in the hour with their other 2 points coming from frees. Tinryland who started 7 of last year’s successful u21 team were 3 points ahead after 15 minutes courtesy of 2 conversions from ace forward Diarmaid Walshe and a well worked point from Ciaran Larkin after quick thinking by Diarmaid. It could have been even better for the home side at this stage only for a wonderful save from Kildavin goalie Ronan Brennan who deflected a Cormac Walshe piledriver out for a ’45 during the opening exchanges. Kildavin-Clonegal scored their first point from play via Aidan Kelly in the 17th minute to leave 2 points separating the sides but that was as close as they got to Tinryland who added on 3 further points before the interval from Walshe (2) and Richie Whyte to leave the half time scoreboard reading Tinryland 0-7. Kildavin Clonegal 0-3. Kildavin’s other points in that opening half were scored by corner forward Eoin Roberts from a free and from Kelly who was their only scorer from play in the 25th minute.

When referee David Hickey re-started proceedings it was the away team who made the early running with Joe Roberts having been introduced into the full forward line. Pauric Hickey had a golden opportunity to rattle the net as early as the 31st minute but his shot went wide and by the 35th minute Diarmaid Walshe had converted another free won by himself to leave 5 points separating the teams. It got even better for the home team at this stage and a great Matthew O’Toole point after good work by Cian Moore, Diarmaid Walshe and Ciaran Larkin was followed by a penalty chance for Tinryland which was saved again by Ronan Brennan. Tinryland however continued to press and were rewarded in the 45th minute by a great Danny Moran point and an opportunist goal from Niall Lowry to leave 10 points separating the teams with one quarter of the game remaining. Joe Roberts then converted a free in the 46th minute to reduce the margin to 9 points but this was as good as it got for K-C as Tinryland rang the changes from the bench introducing Andrew Hanley, Paul Broderick, Glenn Doyle and Mark Lawlor into the fray. The closing stages were all one way traffic as Conor McGrath and Paul Broderick slotted over points quickly followed by a Ciaran Larkin goal to leave 14 points separating the teams. Two further points from Walshe and Danny Moran left the scoreboard reading 2-14 to 0-4 for Tinryland when the long whistle was sounded.

Best for Tinryland who play O’Hanrahans away on Sunday next 3rd April were defenders Dylan Byrne, Mark Dempsey and Danny Moran while up front Diarmaid Walshe who finished with 6 points was well assisted by Ciaran Larkin, Cian Moore and Richie Whyte.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Dylan Byrne, Mark Dempsey, Danny Moran 0-2,Cian Lawlor, Conor O’Toole, Conor McGrath 0-1, Cormac Walshe, Richie Whyte 0-1, Keith Jackson, Matthew O’Toole 0-1, Cian Moore, Ciaran Larkin 1-2, Diarmaid Walshe 0-6 3frees 1 45, Niall Lowry 1-0. Subs John Paul Moore, Glenn Doyle, Paul Broderick 0-1, Andrew Hanley, Ciaran Townsend, Mark Lawlor.

Kildavin-Clonegal: Ronan Brennan, Paul Kavanagh, Donal Hickey, Padraig Byrne, Liam Roberts, Fintan Harrington, Niall Murphy, Pauric Hickey, David Byrne, Liam Conway, John Kirwan, Gavin Byrne, Eoin Roche, Aidan Kelly 0-2, Owen Roberts 0-1 free. Sub Joe Roberts 0-1 free.