Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Seniors defeated by Old Leighlin in S.F.L. Division 1

posted 13 Apr 2015, 09:52 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers lost out to Old Leighlin by four points in the S.F.L. Division 1 at Molaise Park in Old Leighlin on Sunday 12th April. In a low scoring first half Tinryland more than matched the home side leading by 3 points after 25 minutes. It took Tinryland 12 minutes to get on the scoreboard when Matthew O’Toole slotted over a point following good play by Keith Jackson and Danny Moran. Old Leighlin had taken the lead in the 2nd minute when Willie Minchin raised a white flag. With both defences on top at this stage scores were at a premium but a brilliant Glen Doyle ’45 edged the men in blue and black ahead in the 16th minute before further points from Diarmaid Walshe (free) and Keith Jackson extended the lead out to 3 points by the 25th minute. Old Leighlin then reduced the gap to the minimum with points from Barry Hayes and Pat Hickey before referee Brian Deering sounded the half time whistle. Half time score Tinryland 0-4 Old Leighlin 0-3.

When play resumed Cathal O’Toole was introduced for his brother Matthew and Glen Doyle repeated his ’45 of the first half with another sweetly struck conversion. Back came Old Leighlin and Cathal Coghlan scored a point after strong pressure from the home side who were beginning to up the gears. Cathal O’Toole then won a free for Tinryland which was duly converted by Cormac Walshe before Pat Hickey raised a white flag at the other end to leave the minimum separating the sides once again. The tide then turned in Old Leighlin’s favour in the 41st minute when full forward Seamus Kinsella burst through to smash the ball to Trevor O’Reilly’s net. Tinryland responded positively to this score with an excellent point from first half sub Padraig Townsend. 60 seconds later however the ball was back in the Tinryland net when centre forward Pat Hickey raised a green flag to put 4 points between the sides. At this stage Jack Lowry replaced Mark Dempsey who was struggling with a leg injury. Old Leighlin moved 5 points clear in the 45th minute with another Mark Brennan point which was followed by a brilliant Pat Hickey point to leave 6 points separating the teams with 8 minutes remaining. Cormac Walshe then picked up an injury to be replaced by Evan Doyle as Keith Jackson for Tinryland and Michael Meaney for Old Leighlin traded points. Tinryland then enjoyed a mini revival and in a 3 minute spell slotted over 3 points via Diarmaid Walshe (2) and Cathal O’Toole to leave 3 separating the teams entering stoppage time. Old Leighlin had the final say however with a good point from Michael Meaney to leave the final score at 2-9 for Old Leighlin and 0-11 for Tinryland.

The senior team will play Co. champions Rathvilly in the league on Sunday next 19th April at 7 p.m.

Team: Trevor O’Reilly, John Paul Moore, Shane Redmond, Conor O’Toole, Danny Moran, Mark Dempsey, Cian Lawlor, Glen Doyle 0-2, Cormac Walshe 0-1, Richie Whyte, Cian Moore, Matthew O’Toole 0-1, Diarmaid Walshe 0-3, Mark Lawlor, Keith Jackson 0-2. Subs Padraig Townsend 0-1, Cathal O’Toole 0-1, Jack Lowry, Evan Doyle.