Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Seniors make a winning start in Michael Lyng Motors S.F.C.

posted 1 Aug 2016, 03:21 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland senior footballers made a winning start to this year’s Michael Lyng Motors Carlow S.F.C. when overcoming a determined late rally by Mount Leinster Rangers at Netwatch Cullen Park on Sunday 31st July. The men in blue and white included seven U21’s in their starting fifteen and handed championship debuts to minor player Rory Doyle and u21 players Cathal Gaffney and Peter Hennessy with all three doing well on their maiden voyage. 

Tinryland started at lightning pace and were 3 points up within 90 seconds courtesy of brilliant points from the returning Paul Broderick (2) and Diarmaid Walshe. Rangers then enjoyed a period of supremecy holding Tinryland scoreless for 14 minutes while edging ahead by 2 points after a Denis Murphy goal following a defensive mix up and points from Eddie Byrne and Gary Kelly. Glen Doyle stemmed the flow from the southerners when he pointed in the 16th minute following good play by Diarmaid and Cormac Walshe and Niall Lowry. Both sides then had scoring chances of both varieties before Edward Byrne extended the M.L.R. lead back out to 2 points following good play by Chris Nolan. Rangers extended their advantage to 3 points in the 23rd minute with a Chris Nolan point.

Both sides then traded points with Paul Broderick scoring a beauty for Tinryland following good play by Niall Lowry and Denis Murphy raising a white flag for M.L.R. following a seven man move in the 30th minute. Referee Kieran Kelly then signalled 2 minutes of first half stoppage time and Tinryland finished the half as they had started it scoring 3 brilliant points in a 2 minute spell. Paul Broderick stared the fightback when he converted another beauty after Cormac Walshe had won primary possession. Niall Lowry put the minimum between the sides when his long delivery hopped over the bar in the 31st minute and the sides retired on level terms at half time when Matthew O’Toole scored a great point after good play by Niall Lowry and Diarmaid Walshe. Half time score Tinryland 0-8 Mount Leinster Rangers 1-5.

When play resumed Rangers briefly regained the advantage when Denis Murphy converted a free but within 3 minutes Tinryland were 2 points ahead courtesy of a brilliantly executed Cormac Walshe goal following good play by his brother Diarmaid and Glen Doyle. Within seconds Cormac extended the lead to 3 points when he raised a white flag before Eddie Byrne converted a free for Rangers after a foul on his brother Diarmuid Byrne. Paul Broderick with his 5th point saw Tinryland lead by 3 once again. It could have been even better at this stage as Conor O’Toole was very unlucky not to score a goal following a great cross by Diarmaid Walshe. Shane Webb then replaced John Paul Moore as Paul Broderick received a yellow card. Shortly afterwards Paul was replaced by Mark Lawlor. It got better at this stage as Tinryland began to dominate and the reward came in the shape of another brilliant goal from Cormac Walshe following a 4 man move involving himself, Diarmaid, Matthew O’Toole and Conor O’Toole. Conor O’Toole picked up a knock in this move and was replaced by his brother Cathal as Tinryland now led by 6 points with 10 minutes remaining. The men in blue and white were in cruise control at this stage and two quick Diarmaid Walshe points extended the advantage to 8 points by the 52nd minute. It then all changed with Denis Murphy starting the Rangers rally before Diarmaid Byrne rattled the Tinryland net in the 56th minute after good play by Chris Nolan. Within 30 seconds the ball was back in Trevor O’Reilly’s net after a spectacular shot from Chris Nolan and Tinryland suddenly had a crisis on their hands as they saw an eight point advantage reduced to the minimum in the space of 3 minutes. Rangers were now going for the jugular and when the referee indicated 4 minutes of stoppage time Tinryland supporters

could barely watch the heart stopping finale. To their credit Tinryland managed to contain the Rangers rally and the siege was lifted with seconds remaining when Cormac Walshe capped a man of the match performance by slotting over a brilliant point much to the relief of the Tinryland fans. Final score Tinryland 2-13 Mount Leinster Rangers 3-8. Tinryland’s next outing in the S.F.C. will be against Co. champions Palatine who looked impressive in their victory over O’Hanrahans. That game will take place on week ending 21st August.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, John Paul Moore, Shane Redmond captain, Rory Doyle, Conor McGrath, Cathal Gaffney, Niall Lowry 0-1, Glen Doyle 0-1, Peter Hennessy, Matthew O’Toole 0-1, Mark Dempsey, Conor O’Toole, Diarmaid Walshe 0-3, Paul Broderick 0-5, Cormac Walshe 2-2. Subs: Cathal O’Toole, Mark Lawlor, Shane Webb.