Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland stage Lazarus like comeback to share spoils with Leighln in J F.C. (A)

posted 3 Aug 2018, 05:32 by
By Eamonn Byrne

                   Tinryland 3-11                                                    Leighlinbridge 3-11

Tinryland staged a Lazarus type comeback to share the spoils with Leighlinbridge in a thrilling Talbot Hotel J.F.C. round 2 Group 2 game at the training centre in Fenagh on Thursday 2nd August. The men in blue and white hoops had shipped a heavy defeat in round 1 against St. Patricks and looked to be heading for a similar reverse as the All Black completely dominated a one sided first half. The game was stopped immediately after the throw in when Tinryland’s Padraig Townsend was forced to leave the field after a clash of heads that required attention and Eoghan Hosey entered the fray as a blood sub. After receiving attention from the Physio Townsend rejoined the action shortly afterwards.

Leighlinbridge opened the scoring in the 2nd minute when veteran full forward Val Fleming converted a free and the same player repeated the dose 3 minutes later as Leighlinbridge carried the game to Tinryland. A David Lillis point in the 7th minute was followed by a Val Fleming goal and by the 15th minute Leighlinbridge supporters were very happy with their team as the Tinryland net had been rattled for a second time after dual player Dessie Shaw made no mistake from close range. Leighlinbridge were eleven points clear at this stage before Tinryland midfielder Mark Lawlor stemmed the flow with his side’s opening point from long range in the 16th minute. With Val Fleming, Dessie Shaw and David Lillis pulling the strings Leighlinbridge continued to take the game to a startled Tinryland who tagged on their second point in the 22nd minute via Ciaran Larkin. Tinryland despite trailing by eleven points at this stage finally began to believe in themselves and Leighlin keeper Christy Kearney was forced to make a point blank save from a Dean Farrell piledriver as Tinryland finally began to wake from their slumbers. The final action of an almost one sided first half saw Tinryland points from Garry Moran and Padraig Townsend to leave the “invisible” scoreboard reading 2-8 to 0-4 in favour of Leighlinbridge when referee John Hickey sounded the half time whistle. Half Time score Leighlinbridge 2-8 Tinryland 0-4.

When play resumed one of  Tinryland’s best players Mark Lawlor reduced the margin to 9 points with another wonderful point in the 31st minute but Tinryland hopes were short lived by the 34th minute when All Black corner forward Lee Conran deflected a high delivery past Tinryland goalkeeper Chris Townsend and the entire Tinryland full back line. It looked game set and match for the Leighlin men at this stage as they led by 12 points with 25 minutes remaining. It was at this stage that Tinryland finally began to shed their shackles of doubt and for the next 25 minutes Tinryland supporters were treated to a completely different and honest approach as the men in blue and white set out to retrieve what appeared a hopeless situation. The comeback began with a Ronan Curran point after more good play from Mark Lawlor and when Shane Webb raised another white flag and David Townsend rattled the net in the 38th minute only 7 points now separated the sides.

Leighlinbridge briefly stemmed the flow with 2 points from Lee Conran and Des Shaw but with the strong breeze now in their favour Tinryland were mopping up all the dirty ball around the middle and were rewarded when a penalty was won and converted by wing forward David Townsend who was increasingly making an impact in this remarkable game.  Townsend struck again 2 minutes later and his 3rd goal in the space of 12 minutes left only 2 points separating the sides as doubt was rapidly seeping into the Leighlinbridge players. Further points from David Townsend in the 51st and 57th minutes brought parity for Tinryland for the first time since the throw in and the men in hoops had at least 4 more chances to gain a remarkable victory before Leighlinbridge finally broke upfield to gain a valuable free deep in stoppage time. Dessie Shaw duly pointed to put his team back in front and it looked that the Tinryland comeback was in vain as both sets of supporters waited for John Hickeys long whistle. Remarkably Tinryland got one last chance and in the 63rd minute Mark Lawlor capped an outstanding night’s work with a wonderful equaliser that would have done justice to any GAA stadium at inter county level. The final whistle then sounded as both sets of player’s exchanged pleasantaries after an absorbing game that had everything that is good in gaelic football.

Outstanding for Tinryland who will play Naomh Eoin in their final group game on week ending 26th August were defenders Peter Doran, Conor Ryan, Colm Kearney and sub Tommy Dunne. At midfield Mark Lawlor was outstanding and he was well supported by David “Dotsy” O’Shea. Up front David Townsend was the star man notching 3-2 and he was well supported by Padraig Townsend just returned from his honeymoon together with Ronan Curran, Ciaran Larkin and the diminutive sub Eoghan Hosey.

Tinryland: Chris Townsend, Liam Fitzpatrick, Peter Doran, Colm Kearney, Shane Webb 0-1, Conor Ryan, Dean Farrell, Mark Lawlor 0-4, David O’Shea, Ciaran Larkin 0-1, Padraig Townsend 0-1, David Townsend 3-2, Garry Moran 0-1, Niall Barrett, Ronan Curran 0-1. Subs Eoghan Hosey, Tommy Dunne.

Leighlinbridge: Christy Kearney, Adrian Dermody, Eoin Ryan, Jonathan Stringer, Cathal Brennan, Odhran Ryan, Ciaran Casey, Liam O’Braonain, Sean Brennan, Paky Fleming, Dessie Shaw 1-3, David Lillis 0-3, Lee Conran 1-1, Val Fleming 1-4, Aidan Lillis. Subs: Caoimhin Ryan, Craig Lawlor, David Kehoe, Edmund Dermody.


Referee John Hickey Fenagh