Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland’s wait for a 16th S.F.C. title extends to 37 years after 6 point loss to Eire Og in 1/4 Final

posted 19 Sep 2017, 05:49 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland’s hopes of progressing further in this year’s Michael Lyng motors Carlow S.F.C. melted in the rain at Netwatch Cullen Park on Saturday 16th September when Eire Og proved that bit stronger for the men in blue and white. In a game which started more than 10 minutes late and was  played in difficult and wet conditions both teams set up in defensive mode showing a lot of respect to each other which at times did not look too pleasing on the eye. It was the Carlow town team however who enjoyed at least 60% of the possession in a game that saw Tinryland lead on only one occasion when the returning Diarmaid Walshe pointed in the 2nd minute after good play by Niall Lowry and Shane Redmond.

Eire Og were back on level terms by the 4th minute when Niall Quinlan successfully converted a free and within 60 seconds they went ahead after a good point from Chris Blake who was well set up by Co. player Sean Gannon. The Y.I. lead was extended to 2 points by the 6th minute when Kelvin Chatten accepted a quick free from Quinlan. Eire Og continued to take the game to Tinryland at this stage but good defensive play from John Paul Moore and Conor Byrne kept them at bay until the 19th minute when the energetic Darragh O’Brien set up Blake for another point to leave the scoreboard reading 0-4 to 0-1 in the town team’s favour at this stage. Tinryland continued to show honesty however and were rewarded a free in the 20th minute but unfortunately James McGrath was off target. Two minutes later Paul Broderick took over kicking duties and the margin was reduced to 2 points after Paul successfully converted the free won by fellow Co. player Danny Moran. Solid play in the defence especially from John Murphy resulted in another Tinryland score when Broderick pointed after great play from Niall Lowry and himself. The final act of the first half saw another Niall Quinlan point after a Tinryland player lost possession which left the half time scoreboard reading Eire Og 0-5 Tinryland 0-3.

When referee David Hughes restarted proceedings Eire Og were dealt an injury blow as early as the 34th minute when Mark Furey was forced to retire and he was replaced by Derek Hayden. By the 36th minute Eire Og were 3 points ahead once more when Sean Gannon was given too much leeway and the Co. star slotted over another point for the men from Teach Asca. That lead extended to 4 points by the 40th minute when Kelvin Chatten raised his second white flag as Glen Doyle was introduced for Peter Hennessy in an effort to add fresh legs to the Tinryland challenge. Great play by Niall Lowry with 18 minutes remaining resulted in a brilliant score from the former C.B.S. All Ireland winning captain just as Tinryland replaced Conor O’Toole with his brother Matthew. Tinryland confidence began to grow once again around this stage of the game and another great Niall Lowry point following good play by Cathal Gaffney and Diarmaid Walshe left only 2 points separating the teams with 13 minutes remaining. Was the impossible about to happen at this stage when Tinryland were awarded a penalty for a tug on James McGrath with 10 minutes left? Tinryland hopes sank however when Paul Broderick was too high with his effort and a point was all we could muster which left Eire Og noses in front by the minimum with 9 minutes left. Taking heart from this let off Eire Og quickly went down the field and one of their best players Darragh O’Brien extended their advantage back out to 2 points once again. Tinryland goalie Trevor O’Reilly was then forced to make a save to prevent an Eire Og goal but Tinryland had a ball turned over shortly afterwards and Chris Blake took full advantage to leave the score at 0-9 to 0-6 with 6 minutes left. Within 2 minutes the confident Eire Og machine had scored another 2 points via a Niall Quinlan free and a Sean Gannon typical effort after the Co. star was allowed to run at the Tinryland defence once more. Diarmaid Walshe gave Tinryland a little hope when he slotted over a point in the 56th minute as Shane Webb replaced Cian Lawlor. The final acts of this game included Eire Og points in the 60th minute from Cormac Mullins just before Glen Doyle received a black card. With the referee signalling 5 minutes of stoppage time Eire Og management shouted at their players to keep ball and run down the clock and on the stroke of the final whistle Niall Quinlan converted another free to leave the final score  Eire Og 0-13 Tinryland 0-7.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Danny Moran, Conor Byrne, John Paul Moore, Cathal Gaffney John Murphy, Cian Moore, Cian Lawlor, Peter Hennessy, Shane Redmond, Conor O’Toole, Niall Lowry 0-2, Paul Broderick 0-3, James McGrath, Diarmaid Walshe 0-2.  Subs: Glen Doyle, Matthew O’Toole, Shane Webb, Cormac Walshe.